Chapter Twenty Eight

Sang

I'm introduced to the twins, Corey and Brandon. Corey is twin one, the one with the happy eyes and Brandon is twin two, the one with the sad eyes. I'd love to know the story on how one has happy eyes and one has sad eyes. But I won't pry.

Now I'm sitting back on the sofa. To my left is Kota and to my right is Brandon. He keeps looking at me with sad but curious eyes, and not for the first time I wonder if I have something on my face. Leaning against the window wall are North, Raven, and Axel—who is in the middle. The three of them have their arms crossed over their chests, and I keep seeing North and Raven sending small glares at each other. I want to tell them to stop, to snap out of it, but right now I've lost my voice.

In the chair to the side of the sofa I'm sitting on is Gabriel and sitting on either arm are Corey and Luke. Luke has his leg propped up, while Corey just sits sideways with his body twisted towards us. On the sofa opposite me, sits Marc, Mr Blackbourne, and Dr Green. Marc has a coffee in his hand that he sips every few seconds or so.

Leaning against the back wall behind the sofa Mr Blackbourne is sitting on are Victor, Nathan, and Silas. Nathan's arms are folded across his chest, while Victor has his hands behind his back. Silas is watching North's narrowed eyes, like he's ready to pounce if North even moves to tiniest bit.

Seeing them like this, all in a room together is overwhelming. It's not just my boys though, it's Axel and his family. All so different, yet alike without even realising it. And they're so in sync with each other, familiar with each other. So many questions, not enough answers.

"Miss Sorenson," Mr Blackbourne starts. "For you to understand what's going on, we're going to start from beginning." Steel grey eyes look at me expectantly, and I nod my head. "We're a part of a secret organization called 'The Academy'. Some of us were recruited as young children, some of us as early teens. We were found by older members or of The Academy or each other, went through a series of training and boot camp, and along the way we found each found our teams, or what we like to call our family."

"Family is a choice," Kota murmurs from beside me. "In our world, family is a choice, and can be whomever you want it to be. You choose your family." That's an option? My head swims.

"In The Academy we're giving a collection of different missions," Axel says. "The missions are suitable for our age group and what skills we have. It's then down to the team leader—myself for my team; Mr Blackbourne for his—on whether we take the mission or not."

"Six weeks ago, a file was sent to me. A series of drugs were sold on school property last year, which resulted in a small number of deaths," Mr Blackbourne continues. "The school board contacted The Academy wanting us to go in, and find who the dealer is. When I had a family meeting with my team, it was decided that we take the mission, and everything was put into action."

"Cameras went up in every corner and nook throughout the school," Victor says. "Apart from Hendricks and McCoy's offices. Those two rooms are locked up tight with finger print entry only."

I nod my head so they know that I'm following along and taking everything in.

"A week ago, a file landed on my desk. After speaking with my team and doing some digging, we realized that this drug lord is the same one that was selling on school grounds last year," Axel says. "After contacting Owen, we knew that our teams would have to intertwine as one to bring this drug lord down, and to get rid of the drug that's killing people."

"Last night, I was out with Luke on a separate, small mission, when I realised I had a tail," North says, dropping his arms to his side. "The license plate was a fake and the windows were tinted."