Chapter Eighty Four

Chapter Eighty Four
Sang

"My father is coming home late tomorrow evening," I say to Owen as I sit down at the piano in Music Room B.

His grey eyes lift from the keys, coming to mine. That millimetre smile appears. "I'm aware. Corey texted the group chat this morning."

I frown. "I didn't get it." I'm in a group chat with all of them. Luke is the most active member, followed by Raven and then Gabriel.

"It's a separate one which we mainly use for academy related things. It's mostly in code."

I nod my head, my fingers going to the keys. "And me," I add in a whisper.

When I peek at him from the corner of my eye, I find him smiling. Not the millimetre one. But the proper one, the one that shows his perfect white teeth. "Yes, Sang, and you."

Should it bother me that they're talking about me without my knowledge? I must admit, I am curious as to what they're saying. Maybe one day I can find out. My fingers start moving along the white keys, playing a soft melody. "How are you dealing with what Brandon shared with you yesterday?" He asks quietly, but clearly.

"It was hard." I swallow, my eyes prick with tears. "I don't understand how some people can be so cruel. Our parents...they're supposed to love us. Instead his..." I trail off, shaking my head.

"They abused him in a way none of us would ever be able to understand." I nod my head in agreement. "Well...maybe Kota. But what happened between him and his father was never as bad as it had been for Brandon."

I look at him in surprise, my fingers pausing. The room goes silent. Grey eyes lift to mine. "I have many stories I need to learn."

His smile this time is sad, his grey eyes shining with the same sadness. "I'm afraid so. Our lives haven't been easy. I think that's what attracted you to us. You were a lost soul, going through the motions of life but not living it. Now, you are. I had thought we were going to save you, but Sang, you're saving us, every single day."

This time, I can't stop my eyes pooling with tears. "Axel said something similar last night." I lick my lips, blinking rapidly. "You're saving me too."

"Hopefully, a day will come when we won't need saving and can just simply live."

"Together."

"Together," he confirms. "Now, how about we do some actual teaching in this class."

Standing up from the piano bench, he buttons his suit jacket before going over to the desk where his violin case. He unclips and then opens the lid and I inhale a deep breath. "Is there any point?" I ask, feeling my heart pick up an extra beat. He raises a questioning eyebrow. "You won't be a teacher here soon."

"No, not particularly. However, I do feel that with a gentle push, this fear of yours is something you can overcome."

My hands start to tremble in my lap.

"Every single day, Sang, you pick up your camera. More often than not, I see you sitting at the piano. Both of these things are something that your mother loved. Why is the violin so different?"

His question makes me pause, because he's right. My camera is never too far away, even now it sits on top of my bag that is in one of the chairs by the door. Currently, I'm sitting at a piano, one I had just been playing. Just a few days ago, I had been playing the very same piano I used to sit at as a young girl, watching as my Mom played. The same piano she taught me to play. So why is the violin so different? "I don't know," I whisper.