Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six
Sang

I look at Brandon and stare, my eyes wide. I think my mouth is hanging open too, but I can't be sure. Brandon laughs at my reaction. "Are you being serious?"

Brandon nods his head. "Yeah, North shot Raven in the foot. This is Raven's way of making North's life hell."

"He shot him in the foot," I parrot, because in all honesty, I can't believe it. "Why?"

"We were at boot camp a few years back," Kota says. "Raven and North were at each other's throat, again, and in all honesty, it was starting to anger me."

"Try everyone," Mr Blackbourne mutters.

"Raven made a joking comment about North being a...'pussy boy'—Raven's words, not mine—," Luke amends quickly. "And said that North would never be able to shoot him," Luke says, wiping at him face. "Yeah, well, when Raven had turned away to look at something else, North shot him in the foot."

"Did Raven cry?" I ask, because it hurts. I know. A shot anywhere hurts. Foot. Shoulder. It just hurts.

Axel and Brandon throw their heads back and laugh. "No," Mr Blackbourne says.

"Raven, cry?" Brandon shakes his head, still laughing. "No, Raven ran after North with a gun, not caring about the bullet in his foot."

"North thought it was a loaded gun Raven was chasing him with, but it wasn't." Dr Green adds.

"I've never seen North run so fast," Luke says with a dreamy look on his face. "One of the funniest moments of my life."

"It's memorable, that's for sure," Mr Blackbourne shakes his head. "Ever since, they've been like this. Sometimes they'll try and get back at each other, sometimes it's just name calling."

I can't help it, I smile and I start laughing. It's the most—oh I don't know—I want to say ridiculous thing I've heard, but I can't be sure. "North shot Raven in the foot," I mumble. "Kind of wish I had been there."

Before anyone can answer, Corey comes rushing in the room. "Her father is back."

I stand from my seat, my eyes going to the clock on the wall. "Already? He said he'd be gone all morning."

"Well, he's back," Corey says before rushing out of the room and up the stairs.

We're immediately scrambling to the kitchen. Kota and Brandon start collecting up the trash, while Dr Green and Mr Blackbourne finish the dishes. I grab a cloth and start wiping the counter.

When I don't hear anyone coming down the stairs to rush out the back door, I look to Axel who is sweeping the floor. "What are they doing up there?"

I hear the familiar beep of the electronic locks on the car. Dr Green puts the last plate away while Mr Blackbourne rinses out the sink.

Kota and Brandon leg it upstairs with the trash bags, while Axel uses a dustpan and broom to clear up what he had swept. Axel grabs my good arm, "Let's go." I hear the key going into the lock on the door.

As myself, Dr Green, Mr Blackbourne, and Axel run past the living room, Luke comes running out. "I had to put the table back," he explains. I thought Dad had moved it.

I hear the front door open just as we start going up the stairs. Dr Green stops, and Axel lets go of me. Crouching down, Dr Green throws me over his shoulder and I quickly cup a hand over my mouth to stop the scream of surprise that wants to break free. He's gentle with me and my shoulder as we go upstairs and into my room.