Chapter Thirty Eight

Raven

My arms are crossed over my chest as I stand in the family room with Corey and Marc, installing one of our cameras. I'm watching them work, barely listening to their conversation as I wonder where the blonde beauty is.

Gabriel went upstairs to find her, and he hasn't come down yet. It's been fucking ages, and I'm in two seconds away from going up there to find out for myself what she's doing. I shift on my feet, the need to search her out almost overwhelming.

"Raven, are you even listening?" At Marc's snapping tone I lift my eyes to where he stands on a stupid ass ladder, screwdriver in hand.

"No," I tell him, being honest.

Marc shakes his head and continues unscrewing the bolts that hold the vent shield to the wall. Corey's blue eyes focus on me before he speaks, "He wanted to know if you had heard from Kayli."

I clench my jaw at the mention of her name. I'm pissed at her, and I've voiced that to Marc, Axel, Brandon, and Corey several times since we left Sang this morning. She's on pills—or selling them—the same kind of pills that the drug lord we're after sells. I don't know what the fuck she's playing at, and I hate to admit this, but I don't fucking care.

I started resenting Kayli just after we made our relationship official three months ago. She got all pissy because we had to go out of town for an assignment and drove us crazy for leaving. I hated it when she was around, I hated her touching me, and I hated when she kissed me. I haven't touched her sexually in months either; not that anyone knows that.

She's changed. I have my theories as to why, but for now, I'll keep them to myself.

"Raven," Corey yells, raising his voice enough to bring me out of my thoughts.

"No," I grind out. "Don't want to either," I mutter, pushing myself off the wall by my shoulders.

"Raven, don't," Corey says softly. Out of all my brothers, he's the one I'm closest to. He calms me, and keeps me sane. At one time, Kayli was able to do that. I think that was more because I was in awe of her then, but now, I'm starting to hate her, so all I have is Corey.

And Sang.

Sang's something else. When we got the call yesterday saying that Doc and a bird were on their way to the Sargent Jasper to hide out, I wasn't prepared for what this bird would be like. I was shit confused when this overwhelming need to protect her, to keep her safe, and to just be there for her hit me in the chest. Even my reactions to Kayli were not like that. My reactions to Sang were instantaneous.

Then there was the whole not talking thing. And the fucking need to know why was so damn consuming, I had to walk away. Marc tried to pry what was wrong with me out of my mouth, but I couldn't tell him. Right now, out of all of us, he's still wrapped around his precious Bambi.

When I was told that it would be Corey and me staying with Sang last night, I did a Russian style happy dance in my head, and even wiggled my ass in my room, while quickly getting an overnight bag together. I was spending the night with one of my favorite people, and the girl that's quickly becoming my favorite girl.

Best night of my fucking life.

I watched her sleep all night, holding her in my arms as I did. I knew when she was dreaming; every now and then her nose would scrunch up in the cutest fucking way. She breathed through her mouth too, kissable lips parted all night, begging for me to kiss them.

Virgin lips.

I know they are. I can just tell that she's never been kissed. I don't have the right to steal it like I want to though. She's not mine, at the moment anyway. And that fucking blush.