Chapter 3

The next ten months went by much faster than Yuna wanted. Now, the UA entrance exam was just a day away. Even with the extra training she had started doing at school, she still wasn't confident in her abilities. And when the school year had ended, Yuna didn't waste a single minute of the day. She constantly trained and studied, trying her best to make sure she was as ready as she could be for the entrance exam.

"Yuna, are you excited for tomorrow?" Yuna's mother, Hina, asked while Yuna was taking a short break Hina had forced her to take.

Yuna finished off her bottle of water before saying, "A bit. I still feel like I'm not strong enough..."

"Honey, you're going to pass. You're great at using your quirk and you're one of the smartest people I know. There's no way you could fail." Hina said, trying to make her daughter more confident in herself.

"There are tons of people who'll be taking that exam with me. It wouldn't be very shocking if I failed." Yuna mumbled, staring down at the ground.

Hina sighed, "With that attitude, you probably will fail. If you just have some confidence and do your best then you'll be fine. Doubting yourself will get you nowhere."

"Right..." Yuna said. Even with her parents encouraging her, she still wasn't confident in herself. Yuna took a deep breath, set the empty water bottle on the ground, and went back to training.

* * *

Yuna's parents had made her cut her training short so she could get some rest. Even though she wasn't happy with that, she agreed to it anyway, knowing she would need her strength for the entrance exam. She surprisingly got a good amount of sleep that night and the next morning she felt ready for the exam.

"I'm going to head to UA now. Wish me luck." Yuna said, opening the door.

"Good luck, Yuna," Katashi replied, an encouraging smile on his face.

"You're going to do great. Remember just do your best." Hina added, giving Yuna a quick hug.

"I will." Yuna waved to her parents before walking out the door and toward the train station.

Once she arrived at the gates of UA High, the nerves Yuna had somehow managed to suppress came rising up. She took a few deep breaths, telling herself, I can do this. I can do this.

Yuna stepped pasted the gates and stared up at the huge, glass school as she slowly walked forward. Yuna nervously glanced at all the students she didn't recognize from different middle schools. If she failed miserably, they would all be watching. They would all see her fail at using her quirk while everyone had no problems. Yuna shook her head, trying to focus on herself instead of everyone else.

Once Yuna had somehow managed to find the auditorium through the maze of hallways, she sat down in a seat toward the middle of the room.

After a while, more and more students started to file in, and soon, Bakugo and Midoriya had found their seats next to Yuna. Then minutes after that, lights flashed on and illuminated the stage.

"What's up, UA candidates! Thanks for tunin' into me, your school DJ. C'mon. Lemme hear ya!" Present Mic yelled, expecting a response, but only getting silence. "Keeping it mellow, huh? That's fine, I'll skip straight to the main show. Let's talk about how this practice exam is gonna go down, okay? Are you ready? Yeah!"

Again, there was silence, other than Midroiya who had started rambling. Yuna let out a quiet sigh as he went on about how great Present Mic was.

"Like your application said, today you rockin' boys and girls will be out there conducting ten-minute mock battles in super-hip urban settings. After I drop the mic here, you'll head to your specified battle center, sound good?" Yuna looked down at the applicate card in her hand as Present Mic paused and waited for the crowd of students to respond to him. She was in Battle Center C.

"I see, they're splitting us up so we can't work with any of our friends," Bakugo said, gaining Yuna's attention. She glanced over at Midoriya's card, since he was closest to her, and saw that he was in Battle Center B.

"Your right. Our examinee numbers are one after the other, but we're assigned to different battle centers." Midoriya added, glancing at Yuna's card, then Bakugo's

"Get your eyes off my card," Bakugo growled. He glanced over at Yuna to look at her card. "Damn. I was really looking forward to crushing you two."

Yuna ignored what he said and turned her attention back to Present Mic, who had started talking again. "Okay, okay, let's check out your targets. There are three types of faux villains in every battle center. You'll earn points based on their level of difficulty, so you better choose wisely." The screen behind Present Mic changed to show a video game-style demonstration of the exam. "Your goal in this trial is to use your quirk to raise your score by shredding these faux villains like a mid-song guitar solo. But, check it! Make sure you're keep'n things heroic. Attacking other examinees is a UA no-no, ya dig?"

Yuna glanced at Bakugo and saw that he had just huffed at this. Then one of the examinees started talking. "Excuse me, sir, but I have a question." A raven-haired boy stood up and a spotlight shined down on him as he continued, "On the printout, you've listed four types of villains. Not three. With all due respect, if this is an error on official UA materials, it is shameful. We expect the best from Japan's most notable school. A mistake such as this won't do."

He's is definitely from a private school. Yuna thought as the boy turned around and pointed at Midoriya. Yuna shrunk away slightly so that people wouldn't think he was pointing at her, as he said, "Additionally, you with the unkempt hair. You're muttering is extremely distracting. If you can't bother to take this seriously, leave."

Midoriya muttered a sorry and a few people laughed before Present Mic answered the boy's question. "All right, all right. Examinee number 7111. Thanks for callin' in with your request." A fourth shadow appeared on the screen. "The fourth villain type is worth zero points. That guy's just an obstacle we'll be throwing in your way. There's one in every battle center. Think of it as a hurdle you should try to avoid. It's not that it can't be beaten, but there's kinda no point. I recommend my listeners try to ignore it and focus on the ones toppin' the charts."

"Thank you very much." The raven-hair boy said as he sat back down. "Please continue."

So the fourth one is just there as an obstacle. It must end up causing some trouble or they wouldn't even put it into the exam. Yuna thought, wondering just how challenging the fourth faux villain would be to avoid.

"That's all I got for you today. I'll sign off with a little present. Our school motto! You ready to go beyond? Let's hear a 'Plus Ultra'!" Present Mic exclaimed the screen changed one last time to show the words 'Plus Ultra'. "Good luck! Hope you practiced hitting more than just books."

The students filtered out of the auditorium and to the buses that would take them to the battle centers. Yuna took a seat by herself and used the short bus ride to calm her nerves. When they arrived, she stared up at the large doors that led into the battle center.

Yuna closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths, determination filling her. She had spent her entire life hoping she would make it here, she would not fail.