Chapter 60

Yuna's anger that came with seeing Rika mostly disappeared by the time they changed into their hero costumes and made it into a room packed full of students. Yuna stood near Kaminari as she glanced around the room, attempting to servey her competition. Yuna couldn't gauge much about the majority of the students she could see before a tired looking man at the front of the room began talking.

"Ok then. Let's do this exam thing. I'm from, uh, the Heroes Public Safety Commission. Name's Mera." The man, Mera started in a tired voice. He seemed like he got less sleep than Aizawa, which Yuna didn't think was possible until now as she saw Mera nearly pass out as he was talking. "My circadian rhythm is so screwed up. I've been swamped lately and I haven't gotten enough sleep. We're too short-staffed. I'm so tired. With that confession, I'll now begin orientation."

Yuna and Kaminari shared a look before Yuna shrugged and muttered, "I've been there." earning an eye roll from Kaminari before Mera continued.

"So, about the content of the license thing. Basically, 1540 examinees compete in a free-for-all exercise or whatever we're calling it this year." Mera vaguely explained. "See, we've got a lot of pros around, and since Stain was arrested, many people have expressed doubts about the status of Heroes in society. But, when you really think about it, getting paid makes sense. If you're going to risk you're life to save someone, why shouldn't you ask for a reward? That's just the way the world works. God I could use a coffee. Anyway, whether they're in it for compensation or out of a sense of duty, we've got too many heroes working together in the streets these days to keep villains at bay. Honestly between the time when an incident begins and when it's resolved is ridiculously short. You are all here trying to receive your provisional licenses so you'll be swept up in this tiresome mess yourself pretty soon. Those of you who don't have the speed, frankly just won't cut it. Which is why that's what you'll be tested on. The first 100 students to fulfilled the requirements will pass today."

Chatter filled the room and Yuna felt unease and nervousness finally hit her unlike anything leading up to this exam. There were over 1500 students there, crowded in that one room, most of which were older and more experienced than her. She had no doubt that all of them had gotten their quirks on time and had a few extra years of experience just using their quirks. What if, just like her quirk, she was late getting her provisional license too? What if she didn't get it at all? She thought she had caught up to everyone; that she had made up for years of lost time. But what if that wasn't true?

Yuna's thoughts were interrupted as Mera continued, "Well, the world can be pretty crappy. I suppose I should say something about luck. So, anyway, here are the basic rules. The examinee will put three of these targets on their body. They can go anywhere you want as long as it's an exposed area. So no soles of the feet or armpits. Each of you will also have six of these balls. The targets have been programmed to light up whenever they've been touched by one of these balls. If all three targets light up, you're out. Oh, and the person who lights up your third target gets credit for your defeat. You get through this round by taking down two people. Got it? Good."

Two people? That's not a lot. As long as you're smart about picking your target and avoid getting hit the biggest issue is the limit to how many people can pass. Although it's not like fighting other hero course students will be easy either. Yuna though as Mera announced that they'd begin passing around targets and balls. Then he said something that caught her attention. Wait, did he say 'open'?

The building shook and the walls and ceiling began to move before the square room unfolded and they were standing in a large arena that was almost like a larger version of the USJ.

"I'm sure each of you have different terrains that you like or want to avoid. Use your quirks well and do your best. Or not. Whatever." Mera said as Yuna tried to get a better look at the different terrains over all the students. "Yes, I know, it makes for a great reveal, doesn't it? And for what? So much sleep lost over this. Hopefully, some of these kids are fast and we can get this over with. Until then, I'm gonna rest my eyes."

Once all the targets and balls were passed out, students began running off of the platform formed by what was once a room. Most students seemed to be staying with their class and it seemed like her class planned to do the same as Midoriya shouted, "Everyone, stay close together, we'll fight as a group."

"Yeah, right, this isn't a field trip!" Bakugo growled before he turned to leave. Kirishima ran after him and somehow, Yuna ended up being dragged after the two of them by Kaminari. Soon Yuna was climbing up a latter behind Kaminari while Kirishima was asking, "Hey, Kaminari, Azumi, why'd you follow us?"

"I dunno. 'Cause you guys started running." Kaminari answered. "I didn't wanna end up alone."

"And I'm guessing you just got dragged along?" Kirishima asked Yuna.

Yuna let out a sigh, "Yeah. But I didn't really wanna stay with the whole group anyways. Especially since everyone is gonna be after them."

"What do you mean?" Kirishima questioned.

"Everyone knows our quirks and fighting styles from the sports festival," Yuna explained. "Our class is gonna be targeted because of it. We need to be careful with how we fight too. They know how we fought during the sport festival, but things have changed since then. It's best we focus on using our new moves and stuff they haven't seen before. Then they're less likely to know how to counter it."

"That makes sense," Kaminati said.

"Of course it makes sense!" Bakugo yelled. "I don't get how you didn't know that already."

"You know who we're with, right?" Yuna questioned as they made it to the top of the latter and began climbing off it.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" Kaminari exclaimed with an offended tone.

"Bakugo look out!" Kirishima yelled suddenly as he shoved Bakugo out of the way just as a large piece of what looked like flesh hit Kirishima. Yuna, watched with a disgusted expression as Kirishima was absorbed into it and turned into a gross ball of flesh. It was like he had been condensed into a small, disgusting looking ball and he was now in the hand of a Shiketsu student.

"What the crap? Did that really just happen?" Kaminari questioned as he stared at the student.

"All I know is, that bastard look like he's to blame," Bakugo said, looking ready to fight. "So I'll kill him."

"As long as I don't get turned into whatever those things are, I don't care what happens," Yuna replied, noticing the other flesh balls on the ground around the Shiketsu student.

"I'm from Shiketsu. My name is Seiji Shishikura. Please notice, my school keeps out hats on when we're working. Why's that? Because each and every one of our movements is crowned by the legacy and honor of our school." The Shiketsu boy explained before dropping Kirishima among the other flesh balls. "This is a demonstration. Proof of the difference in level by my peers and your vulgar class. We value obligation and dignity, things that appear to be sorely lacking among your class."

-Author Note-

60 chapters. That's a lot. I did this at chapter 50, but still, looking at the fact this story has 60 chapters is insane. Not to mention it hit 20k reads? What? How? That's amazing. I've kinda missed all the other milestones for this story, but I didn't miss this one. It's always crazy to me how many people read my stories when I actually think about it. And sometimes I'm just like, why do people waste their time reading my crap? But it makes me really happy. This story has come so far and it's largely thanks to all of you reading, so thank you! It means to much to me when people just read my stories and it's really validating.

But anyways, it's the middle of the provisional license exam and things are happening. Thank you all again for sticking around this story for so long and getting it to 20k reads, it means a lot. And I hope you all have a great day!

-Starlight