Chapter 65

"Ok. Everyone. Thanks for your hard work in today's exam." Mera said from a podium on the stage. Everyone had gathered in front of the stage where a large screen was on display. After the test ended, Yuna met up with the other girls in her class and they made their way to the locker rooms to change. When they gathered back in the arena for the results, Yuna found Kaminari and stood by him as Mera spoke, "Now, before I announce the results, I should probably explain the way we evaluated you. Between HUC and those of us at the Heroes Public Safety Commission, we had a two-fold demerit system that we used to determine your total scores. In other words, we were evaluating you based on how few mistakes you made in a crisis situation. Anyways, the names of those who passed are listed here in alphabetical order. Keep my words in mind as you search the screen for your name."

The screen lit up with a list of names and Yuna squinted to find her name. She scanned the start of the list and felt a rush of joy as she saw her name in one of the squares.

"I did it!" Yuna cheered, tackling Kaminari into a hug.

He stumbled back at her sudden movement but had a grin on his face, "Yeah, same! We did it!"

Yuna laughed as he spun her around before leaning in and kissing her. Yuna felt her heart race and a feeling of overwhelming joy filled her. She felt the entire world around them melt away and that moment seemed to last forever. And Yuna wasn't going to complain.

They pulled away as Sero whistled at them, causing Yuna to roll her eyes, but her smile didn't falter. Then she took a small step back from Kaminari and looked back up at the board. Her smile did falter when she saw Rika's name, but not because she thought she'd fail. She knew Rika would pass, but the feeling she felt about it was indescribable. She felt happy for her while feeling bitter that Rika accomplished anything after what she did to Yuna. But she was also overwhelmed by her own happiness from passing and Kaminari's contagious smile made it even easier to move past the thoughts she had upon seeing Rika's name.

After lightly shaking her head, Yuna's attention fell on Bakugo, who was staring at the screen with a look of disbelief. She looked up at the screen and searched for his name, which shouldn't have been too far from hers. But it wasn't there. And neither was Todoroki's.

"Wow, how did our top two classmates fail?" Mina questioned as the wind guy from Shiketsu, who Yuna forgot the name of, apologized to Todoroki for being the reason he failed.

"Shoulda been more careful what you said," Kaminari said to Bakugo, causing Yuna to sigh. "Words are important you know."

Bakugo looked at Kaminari with a look of pure rage and Yuna was worried she'd have to stop him from killing Kaminari, "Shut your mouth before I murder you."

"So, next we'll give you the printouts of your results," Mera announced, interrupting the class's disbelief that Bakugo and Todoroki failed. "They include a breakdown of your scores so you know exactly what areas you need to improve going forward."

Yuna thanked the staff member who handed her the handout. She read through it as Mera explained how points were taken off for errors and if the score fell below 50, it meant failure.

"How'd you do, Yuna?" Kaminari asked, looking over her shoulder.

"I ended with 86 points. There was just a few things I could've done with my quirk better and I got some points taken off when I sat down since they couldn't see I was using my quirk." Yuna answered, reading her paper. She left out the points taken off from her arguing with Rika. It wasn't much, but Yuna didn't want to acknowledge it.  "What about you?"

"I got 68. I think it was because I was with Bakugo." Kaminari replied, glancing at Bakugo to make sure he wasn't listening. "And also my quirk isn't great for rescue stuff, so it made things kinda difficult."

"That makes sense," Yuna said before looking back up at Mera as he began speaking.

"Anyways, moving forward, those of you who passed can exercise the same authority as pro heroes, but only during emergency situations. In other words, fighting villains and saving the victims of criminal acts or accidents. You may act using your best judgment without direct orders. Keep in mind that your every action from now on carries with it a deep responsibility toward bettering our society and that the world is watching you." Mera explained. "I'm sure you're aware that All Might, our greatest hero, no longer had his incredible power. One of the reasons crime in this country has been so low is due to his presence. With that deterrent gone, criminals are sure to become bolder and more widespread. Expect the balance we currently have in our world to be destroyed, and for things to change quickly. You young people will be the hope for our future. It's imperative that you become exemplary heroes. That your reputations grow to suppress crime as did his. Remember the license you earned today is provisional and you still have much to do. I would like you to think of yourselves as fledglings, and be even more diligent in your studies.

Mera then went on to explain how those who failed could take a three-month remedial class to get their provisional licenses. That or they could wait until April to take the exam again. Once he finished talking, the students who passed were issued provisional licenses.

As Yuna walked with the rest of her class to their bus, Yuna stared at the card she held in her hand. The license had basic information as well as her hero name spelled out in bigger letters at the bottom. The back of the card had 'hero' written on it in caps. Something about holding the card made her feel special. It represented a huge step toward her goal.

"I wonder if I called my grandparents about this what they would say," Yuna mumbled, her smile slipping a bit.

"There's no way they could make something bad out of this," Kaminari said.

Yuna shrugged, "I just want to rub it in their faces that they were wrong about me. They spent years telling me that I was never going to amount to anything and would end up like my aunt. And they were wrong. And I can't wait to make sure they know that."

"And I'm sure you will," Kaminari replied with a smile.

Yuna smiled at him before looking back at her license. She did it. And now she was one huge step closer to becoming a hero.

-Author Note-

So, the provisional license stuff is completely over, and next is the work studies! I'm so excited for this while also incredibly nervous. I have a rough outline of how I want this to go, and even a scene for the end of the work-study arc written out, but I don't entirely know how to get to that point. But before then, I might do some chill stuff before then. I actually don't know a lot about what comes after the provisional license, I haven't rewatched those episodes at all. The work-study arc is vaguely in my mind, but I don't remember much of it. So that'll be fun to watch again.

But anyway, this chapter was kinda short. I don't have much else to say. So I hope you all have a good day.

-Starlight