28: The Mean Father

Ririro entered her bedroom in the mansion. She suddenly noticed things she didn't before. Because she wasn't a jujutsu user before.

There were hidden paper seals disguised as paintings on the walls. She took one down and took a closer look " protective charms."

The butler came in " your soft toys. The ones you get, one every year from your father ? Sorry... Should be takano-san now. The ones you get for you birthday. They're stuffed one each in, those as well. "

Ririro : to protect me... While I'm in this house. So no curse could come. And I would never have to awaken

" He did love you, despite all the mean things he seem to do . He actually never wanted you to get your hands dirty. "

Ririro ; no ?

" The old man said it was necessary. And you know, that time the old man was still in charge. He did argue for you "

Ririro: father...

" But then you got skilled at it. Killing people . So when Takano-san got in charge, he started to say mean things to make you quit. Made things difficult for you. But instead... You were too good at your job. You never failed once, couldn't even fire you. "

Ririro: he couldn't just... Ask me to resign ?

" The old man was getting proud of your skills. He wouldn't allow it. "
__________________________________

Ririro: .... father?

Takano: still calling me that ?

Ririro :... Um. I heard from the Butler

Takano: damn Jim. Couldn't keep things to himself.

Ririro : .... You wanted me to be to a jujutsu-shi that bad ?

Takano: I didn't want you to be anything. I want you to quit as an assassin. I trained you, but didn't want you to be one.

Ririro ; so it was... All grandpa ?

Takano sighed " I know you might still think I'm a bad father. Then again... I'm not really... Do you remember ? When I started to be mean to you ?"

Ririro : .... No.

Takano; I guess I took the douche thing a bit far. The old man had this program. It's an old program this family has been running for the business. You know the one about orphans ?

Ririro nods " we adopt orphans and train them while they're young. Raise them till they're 18. Then they... Kill for the business. There's no way around it. I don't really know what happens, if one says no...

Takano ; old man usually kills them. But actually there's no such rules. But after I took over, I just let them go. I've been trying to scrape the stupid program since. But the stupid old man just kept taking more in.

Ririro ; .... I see. So that's what he meant... He wanted me to takeover you and continue the program.

"you had to be so good at your job. The only way I could think of making you quit was ... Was..." Tears start to well up in his eyes . He turned away from her " make you feel... That you weren't... Good at it..."

Ririro : father...

Takano ; it... It worked. But... But you wouldn't quit. No matter how I yelled at you.

Ririro's tears rolled down her cheeks " you could just... Ask me to quit."

" I'm sorry. But ... That old man was a manipulative asshole. I couldn't !! I couldn't just tell you to quit. He would have used other ways to rope you back. " He bammed the wall with his fist " just like my Angela. "

Ririro ; but... Mother died because of serious illness.

He turned around angry " no. No !!! That manipulative bastard !!! He made her go do some sick mission of his. And... She had to die. That asshole !!! "

Ririro ; so you lied to me.

" you were a kid and you looked so sad when you knew your mother died. I didn't want you to know she died... Killed." He strokes her hair " my ototo left me with you. Couldn't just throw you aside. "

He relieved a breath of relief " I was honestly glad when that hakiro jii said that there wasn't any way to seal your abilities back."

Ririro ; what ?

Takano: hakiro jii didn't tell you ?

Ririro : you know... Hakiro jii ?

Takano ; someone sealed your abilities. You've been able to see those things since you were a baby. Those things, like to come to you. Ever remember you had a , nightmare imaginary monster phase ?

Ririro ;.... Yes. I think I did. You told me they weren't real. They just... One day disappeared. You said I was cured.

Takano : it isn't really like that... You should ask him about this.

Ririro goes to hug him " thank you for loving me. Even though I'm not really yours. "

He kissed her in the forehead " don't be silly. You were the only daughter Angela and I had. "