Chapter 1

A/N

This story has grammar errors and it's not well written. I should edit it some day. You are free to read it though.

May 1985...

The young lady braids her hair in the mirror. Her long brown, thick and puffy hair is now braided into a simple braid. She takes another look in the mirror and sighs. She wears a baggy blouse with a turtle neck and a skirt that reaches to her ankles. It's not her choice to dress like that. But not that she had a choice. If she wants to stay in this house, she must do the requirements. The requirements of the person calling her now:

"Evangeline!"

The brunette sighs and opens the door of her bedroom and walks slowly down the hall. She wants to do this, but still something inside her is trying to stop her. She descends the stairs and arrives in the living room where a woman in her 60s is waiting for her, sitting on the armchair with eyeglasses on her face. The woman reads a huge book on which is engraved the title "Bible" on the cover.

Evie would like to roll her eyes, but she can't. Her mother reads the Bible every month and after she finishes it, she makes her read it too. And for her mother, Olivia, to be sure that she read it, she asks her religious quotes.

She's been doing this since... Since she learned to read. And it drives her crazy. In addition, she must say daily prayers and go to church every Sunday. She is not allowed to dress provocatively because her mother tells her it is a sin. She is not allowed to watch any movies because some of them are not allowed for Christians. Does she like to do that? Of course not. But she has to do this if she wants to stay in this house. At least she does these things when her mother follows her. When she goes out the door, Olivia doesn't know anything about what her daughter is doing. And Evie hopes her mother never finds out.

"You told me half an hour ago that you have something to tell me," Olivia says with a bored look and puts the book aside and looks at her daughter.

"Oh yes," Evie grabs her wrist with the other hand, her nervousness can be seen in her brown eyes. "Amelie will come to take me by car and..."

"And where are you going?" Olivia lowers her glasses, her gaze sharpening.

"We'll go to the church choir," Evie gushes feeling her breath, increase, knowing she told a lie.

Her mother doesn't make a sound. She has an impartial face and looks at the clothes she is wearing. There is the noise of a car stopping near their house. Both of them can see the headlights coming through the windows.

"Amelie has come," Evie says anxiously.

Olivia gets up from her chair and walks to the front door. She opens the door and sees her niece getting out of the car and waves at her:

"Good evening, Aunt Olivia."

The old lady does not answer and turns her harsh gaze to her daughter who gulps and smiles nervously. She looks at her niece again and notices that she is dressed similarly to Evie. Decent clothing. She looks at her daughter again and nods, saying:

"Okay. You can leave. But don't stay long!"

"Of course!" Evie smiles and walks over to her cousin.

They both greet Olivia and get in the car.

"I thought we wouldn't succeed this time," says Amelie who puts on her seat belt and then she turns on the car.

"Fortunately, I told her you were in the church choir for 6 months. Otherwise, she wouldn't believe us," says Evie and puts on her seat belt.