Chapter 57

It seems like an eternity to Nikki and Evie until the technician talks to them. They want good news. But they expect the worst. That something bad has happened to their much-desired baby.
Evie feels her heart pounding and she squeezes Nikki's hand so hard. He doesn't even move, his attention being directed to the technician who seems to have a gloomy face, but suddenly the expression on his face changes, as do theirs.

There is a familiar noise. The baby's heartbeat. The technician turns quickly and looks puzzled at the screen and smiles:

"We finally hear the heartbeat," he smiles.

"So the baby is fine?" Nikki asks because Evie is too shocked to make another sound.

"Yes," the technician smiles and Evie and Nikki finally feel relaxed and relieved. "The heartbeats sound good."

"The heartbeats? Two hearts?" Evie asks, confused, Nikki looks at her just as bewildered.

The technician smiles and points to the screen, saying:

"Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Sixx. You have twins! Here is baby A and here is baby B. They look perfectly healthy."

"What the?" Evie puts a hand to her mouth, her brown eyes widening in shock as do Nikki's. "Twins..." She whispers and lowers her hand and looks at her husband, still astonished.

Her husband smiles and strokes her head and says:

"We didn't expect that, did we?"

"No. Not at all," she smiles too, and feels tears falling on her face. "But how is that possible?" She asks and looks at the technician. "Twins are not running in none of our families."

Sometimes it is hereditary, but sometimes it is common when a woman gives birth several times. The more often she gives birth, the more likely she is to become pregnant with twins. And it seems that the embryos share the same amniotic sac and the same placenta. So they are identical twins.

"That's great," Evie smiles and feels the tightness of her husband's hand.

"But there are chances for babies to be delivered by C section."

"It doesn't matter," Evie smiles. "I just want them to be healthy."

"So far everything seems fine," the technician smiles.

"I can't wait to tell the kids," Evie tells her husband.

"They won't believe it," Nikki kisses her on the temple. "I can't believe we'll have twins, honey. I never imagined that."

"I know. It's so wonderful."

"We really need a lot of space now," Nikki laughs.

After a few hours...

Nikki and Evie barely enter the door as they are greeted by their little ones running towards them and grabbing their clothes shouting:

"Mommy! Daddy!"

"Hey, my darlings," Evie smiles at them. "Did you miss us so much?"

All three nod. Evie and Nikki look at each other, smiling. Deana appears next to them. She stayed with the children while Evie and Nikki were at the clinic.

"So?" Nikki's mother asks, clasping her hands. "Is everything okay with the baby?" She asks deeply concerned.

"Yes, fortunately everything is fine," says Nikki. "The babies are fine."

"Babies?" Deana winces in amazement. "Did I hear right?"

Nikki grins at his wife, Evie cunningly gets out the ultrasound pictures from her purse. The children and Deana's faces are completely amazed when Evie shows them the pictures.

"We found out there were actually two babies," Evie says. "We will have twins."

"Oh gosh! That's such a surprise!" Deana smiles broadly. "Congratulations! Oh, kids," she's looking down at her grandchildren. "You will have two siblings. Are you happy about that?"

"Yes!" All three say in unison, their parents and grandmother smiling broadly.

"I hope at least one of the babies is a girl," Raelynn says, smiling intensely. "I want a sister!"

"You'll probably have her soon," her mother tells her gently.

"I hope so too, says the girl and gives her brothers a harsh look. "I hope there aren't 2 boys. I will go crazy!"

The adults start laughing while Asher and Bryce look at their sister not at all friendly.

"And I hope there aren't two girls," Asher grumbles and folds his arms.

"Oh, they started again," Evie sighs and puts her hand to her head, feeling a headache.

"Kids! Stop arguing!" Their father tells them firmly. "Look... You're making your mother feel bad."

All 3 are looking down and muttering a "sorry".

"Okay, now what would it be like to celebrate? How about... Going to get some ice cream?" Says their mother, now trying to cheer them up.

"That's a great idea," smiles Deana. "What do you say, children?" She addresses her grandchildren.

All three smiles and nod. They soon join their parents and grandmother and leave the house.

Nikki and Evie can't take their eyes off each other anymore. Despite the fact that this day seemed regrettable, it turned out to be a blessed one. They expected to be told that something bad had happened to their baby, but it turned out that in Evie's tummy, not one heart but two beats! What unexpected and wonderful news! They will be such a perfect big family.

A/N

I hope you calm down after you find out everything is fine and Evie is pregnant with twins! Did you expect that? What genders do you think these babies have? I can't wait to see what you think! Much love, my dears!