Chapter 48

"Come on, Asher! Come and meet your sister!" Nikki says to his son.

The little one enters the room where the mother is with his father. His grandmother, Deana, is holding his hand and behind them are Tommy, Laura and Heather who holds little Megan, who is 1 month old.

Asher steps slowly, widening his eyes and looking at his newborn sister in his mother's arms.

"How beautiful she is!" Deana says, smiling at her granddaughter.

"Baby?" Asher asks, staring at the newborn and tilts his head.

"Yes, sweetie," says Evie. "She is your sister. Raelynn. Come closer to see her."

Asher approaches, his grandmother still holding his hand. His father goes, takes him and puts him to bed next to his mother and sister. The little one smiles and puts a hand on the little head of the newborn.

"Why baby sleeps?" Asher asks his mother, looking at his sister.

Evie looks at her husband and the others around, almost laughing.

"She's tired," sweetheart.

"She is cute," the boy smiles and then he looks at his mother.

"She's as beautiful as your mother," Nikki says, smiling at his wife who blush a little.

Tommy and Heather come closer and congratulate Nikki and Evie.

"How's Megan?" Evie asks Heather. "I hope the way here hasn't been too tiring for her."

"Oh, don't worry," Heather says, looking her the daughter in her arms. "She slept all the way."

"Finally, you have a little girl!" Laura exclaims, looking at Raelynn. "She is the same age as my sister. Maybe they'll be in the same class at school."

That would be great," Evie smiles.

Little Raelynn opens her eyes, and her older brother is paying more attention to her. With his mouth ajar, he watches her how she moves her tiny hands. Asher puts a hand to his sister's hand and she instinctively squeezes his finger with her small hand.

"My finger!" Asher exclaims with an astonished face and everyone in the room laughs.

"It's her way of greeting you," his mother whispers softly.

But Raelynn starts to cry, Evie tries to calm her down, but to no avail.

"She's nosy!" Asher says and covers his ears with his hands.

Due to Raelynns cries, Megan wakes up and starts crying too. Now the cries of the two babies can be heard all over the room.

"Make them shut up!" Laura shouts, covering her ears with her hands.

Fortunately, the babies calm down crying, but the adults look amused at Laura and Asher, who still have their hands on their ears.

After 6 months... March 1992...

Evie's heart grows at the sight of her  children spending time together. All three  are in the living room, she is sitting on the  couch and Asher, 2 years  and  4 months  old, is playing with her 6 month old sister.

Raelynn has grown a lot in the last 6  months. The little girl learned to sit and  play with her older brother. Now she  watches Asher play with his collection of  cars as she plays with the crocheted doll  her brother chose before she was born.

Raelynn looks very much like her father, as  is her older brother. She did not inherit  many psychical features from her mother.   

Everything she inherited from her mother was the shape of her chin, nose and long eyelashes.

The little girl's eyes color changed during  the 6 months and now they have the same beautiful color as her brother and father.  Deana, her mother-in-law, tells Evie that  both children remind her of Nikki when he was a child.

For Evie, there is no more beautiful view than the one in front of her. Her children seem to have developed a very close bond in such a short time. She hopes that in the future they will be as close as now.

Footsteps are heard and Evie looks at the entrance to the living room where she sees Nikki entering. He remains in the doorway, with a grin on his face and says, catching  attention of his wife and children:

"I have a surprise for you."

He leaves the room just for a few seconds and appears with a Bernese Mountain puppy in his arms. Asher exclaims when he sees the puppy and gets up and runs to his father. Raelynn is too young to know what is going on, but she also smiles at the sight of the puppy.

Asher reaches his father, who leans down and gives him the puppy.

"So cute!" The boy says looking at the puppy. "It's ours, Daddy?"

Nikki looks at Evie who smiles softly and says to his son:

"Of course he's ours now, son. Your mother and I talked together to get him. If I didn't talk to her and she didn't agree, she would have killed me."

Evie chuckles and gets up from the couch and takes her daughter in her arms.

"He needs a name," Evie says, approaching them with Raelynn in her arms. "He's a boy. So we need a boy's name. Do you have any ideas, sweetie?" She asks her son.

Asher looks very carefully at the puppy, as if he wants to read his mind and exclaims:

"Rexx!"

"Oh, that's a wonderful name!" Evie says. "I really think it suits him."

Little Raelynn looks curiously at the puppy in her brother's arms and holds out her hands to him.

Evie lowers her, Asher bends down and puts Rexx down. The puppy approaches the baby and wags his tail and licks her hands, Raelynn chuckling with enthusiasm.

Evie walks closer to her husband, who takes her in his arms, kisses her on the temple and says:

"Children seem so excited about him."

"I hope he won't poop on my foot, though," Nikki says.

Evie laughs and adds:

"Let's hope he doesn't."