Chapter 12

The next day...

Evie opens her eyes slowly, bothered by the sunlight entering through the window. Slightly dizzy, she looks around. She turns to the other side of the bed, but doesn't see Nikki. Seemingly confused, she slowly gets out of bed. She goes to the bathroom and leaves after 20 minutes, wrapped in a towel, and her hair wet. She stops when she sees a small box on the window sill. There is a small note on the box. Evie takes it and reads it:

'I am so sorry baby, that I couldn't wait to see how you open your precious eyes. I had to go. Something happened to the boys. But I assure you I will be back today. I can't leave my girlfriend alone on a day as important as this. Look in the box, honey. But please don't put it around your neck until I come. I want to do it myself. I can't wait to touch your smooth skin. Happy Birthday my dear. I love you.'

Evie puts a hand to her mouth, her breath caught reading such touching words. How did Nikki know today is her birthday? She didn't say anything to him. Oh yes... Evie rolls her eyes and smiles. Amelie. She has to be told him. She smiles broadly and takes the box and opens it. She's gasping at the sight of a wonderful pendant with two silver angel wings. She takes it in her hand and her smile grows, tears accumulate in the corners of her eyes. No one has ever made such a beautiful gift for her birthday. And the text of the note... It made her feel butterflies in her stomach. She feels like a young girl when she first fell in love. She can't wait for Nikki to come home and put the pendant around her neck, as he promised.

She puts the pendant back in the box and also she puts the lid back on. Still smiling, she goes to the closet and chooses some clothes to wear. She chooses to dress with a pair of jeans and a simple black T-shirt. Now she's in the bathroom in front of the mirror, combing her hair when she hears the doorbell.

She's not waiting for anyone. Is there anyone looking for Nikki? Evie needs to find out so she gets out of the bathroom and out of the room, walking down the hall. She reaches the foyer and opens the door. In front of her is Amelie holding balloons of all colors and a large box in her hands. Her face lights up when she sees Evie and exclaims:

"Happy Birthday! Now you're a grown ass woman! You are 21 years old now!"

Evie chuckles and goes and hugs Amelie. Her cousin holds the box in her arms.

"What is here?" Evie asks, looking at the box.

"Duh? The cake!"

"Did you get me a cake?"

"It's your birthday! Of course I got you a cake!"

"And you told Nikki it was my birthday, didn't you?" Evie raises an eyebrow and grins.

"Possibly," Amelie shrugs and enters the house.

Evie closes the door and shifts her gaze to Amelie who looks around.

"A beautiful place where you live with Nikki now," Amelie turns to Evie and shows her a cunning grin. "How fantastic it is that you two are alone now."

"Yes, it is," Evie smiles.

After a few hours...

Nikki opens the bedroom door slowly and in the darkness of the room, he sees Evie lies on the bed with her back to him. He smiles and walks slowly towards her. He climbs into bed, puts a hand on her waist and kisses her neck. The brunette winces slightly at his touch and wakes up and turns to him.

"Hey," he smiles at her. "I left you sleep and I find you doing the same thing."

"I was a little tired," she smiles weakly and rubs her eyes, still a little sleepy.

"Did you like the gift?" He asks her and his gaze rises to the box on the nightstand.

"Of course!" Her face lights up and she looks at the box too.

Evie gets up and goes and takes the box. Nikki walks slowly behind her. He watches Evie, who removes the lid of the box. He quickly takes the pendant and puts it around her neck. Evie fells she will melt under the touch of his soft skin. Nikki finishes putting on the pendant and Evie puts her hand on the two angel wings and smiles, her cheeks turning a little red.

"Happy birthday, honey," Nikki tells her and Evie turns to him and takes him in her arms.

"No one offered me anything more beautiful," she smiles at him and her hands go up to his face. "Thank you. The pendant is so beautiful," she says and looks down at it.

Nikki chuckles and puts a hand under her chin, lifting it slightly, staring at her trembling brown eyes.

"You are my angel," he smiles. "You deserve anything."

"I'm not really an angel," she chuckles. "I hope you know that."

"You are a pure angel beside me."

"You have something good in you too," she smiles.

Nikki smiles. He concludes that Evie is the kind of person who sees something good in the worst things. That's her nature. And he loves it very much. It's not like other women he's met so far.

"You're 21 now," he tells her. "You can do anything. You are officially an adult. You can drink in bars now. Whatever you want."

"I'd rather not do this... Maybe not too much," Evie grimaces and Nikki chuckles. "But I would like to go to new places... to travel... with you! I want to start a new life. To live the way I want."

"And you will do that, babe," Nikki smiles, and pulls her into a passionate kiss.

And that's exactly what Evie did. That evening they went to a bar and then walked to the beach. For several days they traveled through different places, living every moment together.

Evie hopes that this happiness with Nikki will always last and nothing and no one will intervene between them. Although... unfortunately Evie has a feeling she's going to have less pleasant experiences with Nikki. And she will see that in the months and years to come.