Chapter 61

Evie and Nikki think it will last forever until their daughter is diagnosed. They are in the hospital and Nikki is holding her wife who has tears in her eyes as she looks at Julia as she is examined by the doctor. Fortunately, the baby stops crying and looks at the doctor curiously.

"So what's wrong with her?" Evie asks, unable to contain her nervousness. 

The doctor finishes examining Julia and takes her in his arms and gives her to her mother, saying:

"Don't worry. Your daughter will be fine."

"But she has an eye of a different color!" Evie shouts in bewilderment and looks at the baby in her arms.

"It's not serious," the doctor calms her down. "She has Heterochromia. Heterochromia is when a person has eyes of different colors. Fortunately, it does not affect her vision. Julia will see as well as a person with eyes of the same color. Some people have a different color only partially in the affected eye. Some have it completely. But it is possible that in the end, that lighter color in her right eye will spread all over her eye."

"But her eyesight won't be affected, right?" Nikki asks deeply worried about his daughter.

"No. Julia will be fine," the doctor smiles at them. 

Nikki and Evie breathe a sigh of relief and smile at their daughter, who is watching them intently. Her mother pulls her closer to her chest and kisses her on the top of the head. 

After a while, Julia leaves the office with her parents. 

"How glad I am that it's not serious," Evie says, looking straight at her daughter. "I didn't expect that to happen to one of our children. I was so concerned."

"But you heard what the dear doctor said," her husband says softly. "Julia will be fine. She will only look different from other children." 

"Yes," his wife smiles softly. "If we know that our daughter is fine... I'd like to go somewhere..."

"Where?" 

"Heather gave birth in this hospital. I'd like to go see her and her daughter. It will be a surprise."

"Sounds great, honey," Nikki smiles at her and looks at Julia, who sucks a little finger.

In a few minutes, the three are in front of the door where Heather is hospitalized and Evie knocks on the door and opens it immediately because she hears inside that she can enter. 

They see Heather lying in bed with her newborn daughter in her arms and she seems shocked to see Nikki, Evie and Julia there.

"Oh, Evie! You came earlier than I expected! What a surprise!" 

The three of them approach her and look at the newborn who sleeps.

"Congratulations," says Evie. "Your daughter is wonderful."

"Thank you," Heather smiles. "But tell me, why did you come so fast? I had just talked to you on the phone. And where are the rest of the children?"

Evie sighs, looking at her husband with the same expression on his face and then she tells Heather what happened. That they thought something was wrong with their daughter.

"Oh gosh!" The blonde exclaims and puts a hand to her mouth, amazed. "I'm glad Julia is fine. Oh..." She's looking at the baby in Evie's arms and she can't help but smile. "Her eyes will have both colors inherited from both of you, I guess. She will be a beauty. A heartbroken."

Evie smiles broadly, looking down at her daughter, who is kicking her hands and legs. After looking at her husband, she continues to smile. 

She didn't think of that. Julia will have an eye the color inherited from both her parents. It's as if she and Nikki's genes fought to be more dominant when conceiving the twins, especially Julia.

"Speaking of heartbroken," Evie smiles, looking at Heather's daughter. "Your daughter looks so cute. She's so small, but I can tell she looks a lot like you."

"Do you think so?" Heather asks and looks down at her daughter. "Richie says the same."

"He's right," Evie smiles. "Where is he? Did the girls see her?" 

"Oh, well, in fact, he went to get Laura and Megan to see Ava!" Heather says excitedly.

"Aw! Is that her name?" Evie asks, looking kindly at Heather's daughter. 

"Ava Elizabeth," Heather says proudly.

"This name suits her," Evie smiles.

After 2 months...

Juniper and Julia are in their cribs. Their mother and father take them in their arms and put them down on the floor next to the toys.Babies seem excited to see the toys and pick them up and play with them. 

Julia's right eye changed its color completely. It is now the same color as her father. That blue mixed with green and a little hazel. Her left eye is brown, just like her mother's eyes. Juniper also has brown eyes like her mother. She and Bryce inherited her eyes while Asher and Raelynn inherited their father's eyes. But Julia... Looks like she inherited both parents.

This is the only physical difference between Juniper and Julia. The girls look a lot alike. They are identical twins after all. They are perfect combinations between their parents. Inheriting the shape of their mother's eyes. Julia with an eye the same color as her father's. They also inherited his chin and nose. The shape of their lips is inherited from their mother. 

"Julia's eye has completely changed color," Evie says, looking at her daughter.

"She looks so special, don't you think?" Her husband asks her, smiling at their daughters. 

"Yes. She's going to be a heartbroken," Evie smiles. "So get your gun ready for all the boys who will be after her," joke Evie and laugh with Nikki.