Chapter 19

After two weeks...

"Oh my God..."

Evie sighs, looking at the TV. A few days ago Nikki and the band had a concert and she is watching when he was filmed drinking a whole bottle of Jack Daniels on stage. She understands that his life is not an ordinary one of an ordinary person. But what he does could kill him.

Now she's even more anxious because she's wondering if Nikki took drugs again. Her anxiety increases too much. She puts a hand to her mouth, biting her nail. She thinks she will lose her mind. She takes the car keys and leaves the house quickly. She goes to her car, opens the door and get into it, closing the door. She turns on the car with her hand trembling on the key.

She hopes she doesn't find out what she's thinking. But the chances are very high that she will find out exactly what she is afraid of. Nikki told her he was going to Vince's house. So Evie drives there.

She gets there in about half an hour. She gets out of the car and hurries to the front door. She pounds on it, already foaming with rage even though she still doesn't know exactly if her boyfriend is doing exactly what she thinks he is doing. The door opens slowly and Vince is in front of her, looking puzzled at her.

"Is Nikki here?" She asks hurriedly without greeting.

"Um..." Vince looks back, visibly nervous.

Evie doesn't wait another second and enters the house, pushing him lightly.

"Hey, Evie! Wait!" Vince shouts for her.

The brunette does not stop walking. She arrives in the living room where she sees Nikki sitting at the table. The table is not empty. Of course that damn white dust is there on it. Evie isn't even shocked, but her heart beats so fast that it seems to go up her throat. He sees her and gets up. He looks like a child who has been caught doing something wrong.

"Evie..." He says softly, his lips dry.

Vince arrives in the living room. He is behind Evie and is looking confused at his bandmate who has an expression who only inspires help. But Vince can't help him now. So he says:

"I... I'll leave you alone to talk," and he leaves.

Nikki watches Vince leave the room and his gaze moves to his girlfriend, who approaches him with slow steps, staring at him.

"What's on your mind, Nikki?" She asks him now in front of him.

"I... I..." Nikki stammers, losing his words even more as Evie comforts him, feeling her warm, angry breath.

"You don't want to cooperate at all," Evie nods in disappointment and feels like she's going to cry in frustration. "I try to make you choose the right path, but in vain. You prefer this dusty stuff!" She cries and gestures at the table where the cocaine is.

"Evie..." Nikki extends a hand to touch her, but she avoids, the expression on her face becoming more and more severe.

Frustration reaches its peak in Evie, so she makes a gesture full of anger and frustration. She hurries to the table and spreads the drug on the floor with her hand.

"Are you fucking crazy?!" Nikki screams angrily, looking at the dust on the floor. "That was a lot of money!"

"What..." Evie looks at him with a hurt and appalled expresion.

Nikki swallows hard. He realizes that he exaggerated talking to her like that. In fact, he never really talked to her like that. He tries to calm down a bit, sighs and approaches Evie again, but this time she backs away. He feels so guilty looking at her.

Evie's eyes hurt, tears streaming down her face. But at the same time, she seems mad.

"How can you talk to me like that!?" She's crying. "Who do you think you're talking to?"

"Evie... Look... I'm sorry..."

"I don't want to hear anything from you!" She snaps and turns her back and leaves the room.

"Shit!" Nikki swears.

He goes after Evie, but she turns around and tells him in a sharp tone, her eyes widen, to leave her alone and not to follow her.

Nikki watches her as she gets into the car and leaves, standing in the doorway. Vince comes to him and looks at the car, which is barely visible.

"I'm sorry," he says.

"I don't know what's wrong with me," Nikki says, still looking at the car. "I'm afraid Evie is absolutely right and I'm not doing anything about that..."

After one hour...

Evie's car stops in front of the studio where she has to record another album. She had to do this today and she knew what she was going to find out would affect her, but she couldn't help it. She had to confront Nikki. And she's so hurt. She cried all the way here.

Now she takes a mirror and make-up products from her purse, trying to hide the fact that she cried. After she finishes, she gets out of the car. She wants to go to the building and get inside, but a voice calls her:

"Evie!"

She turns curious and sees Patrick walking towards her. He smiles heartily at her, but looks concerned when he gets in front of her and asks her:

"Are you ok? You don't look very good."

"I'm... I'm okay," Evie forces a smile.

"Are you sure?" Patrick doesn't seem to believe what she's saying. "Did you cry?"

Great! Evie says that to herself. Looks like makeup didn't help her at all. She sighs and says with a sad look:

"I have some personal issues... But don't worry. I will be fine."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Patrick takes a step towards her, he really seems to care. "If there's anything I can do..."

"It's not," Evie smiles weakly. "But thanks for the concern. I appreciate this. Anyway... what are you doing here?" She asks and points to the building.

"Oh, my father called me and said he wanted to talk to me. Anyway... if you're still coming... are we both going inside?"

"Of course," Evie smiles.

She goes to Patrick to the building, but she stumbles suddenly. Patrick catches her immediately. He holds her in his arms, their faces are very close now. Evie blushes slightly, embarrassed as he smiles warmly at her.

"Are you ok?" He asks her.

"I'm fine," Evie answers in a slightly cold voice and leans back, the expression on her face is neutral.

"Are we going then?" He asks her gently.

She nods and walks inside the building with him. All the way, she thinks about the moment that had just happened. She almost got lost in Patrick's green eyes. But oh, no! She can't fall for him! She... she loves Nikki. Yes, they quarreled, but her feelings for him are just as strong. She is angry with him, but she loves him and wants the best for him.

Maybe she should try to stay away from Patrick. To keep the distance. And she hopes no one has seen her when she was caught by him.