Chapter 37

After 4 weeks...

Nikki isn't home with Evie today, but she's not alone. Heather came to visit her with little Laura. The little girl is playing in the living room with toys and the two women watch her and talk.

"Now with my pregnancy," says Evie looking at Laura, "I remember her mother when she was pregnant with her."

Heather looks at her stepdaughter, smiles, and says:

"Time will pass so fast and you will see your child growing up so fast."

"Until then, I can't wait for her or him to be born," says Evie excitedly, lowering her gaze and her hand to her tummy, which, although only a few weeks have passed, has grown a little.

"How are you feeling?" Heather asks her to look her tummy. "Are you still feeling sick?"

"A little," Evie sighs. "But everything is starting to get better. It's not that bad anymore."

"Tomorrow is the big day... right?" Heather asks uncertainly.

"Yes... we'll finally find out who the father is," Evie murmurs, looking blankly.

A few days ago, she and Nikki and Patrick went to the clinic to do the paternity test. Tomorrow they will go to the clinic to find out the results. Most likely she won't be able to sleep tonight. She keeps thinking who might be the father of her child. She's so nervous. She is afraid that maybe if the baby is Patrick's, it could push her away from Nikki, although he clarified that he will be with her regardless of the test result. But she's worried. That would mean that Patrick and Nikki would always meet, because they would both be part of the baby's life. Evie is afraid that they will always quarrel. Just like they did on the first ultra-sound, 4 weeks ago.

But if the baby is Nikki's, as she hopes, all these problems would go away. Patrick would be gone forever, and she and Nikki would be with their baby. But is there a good chance this will happen? The waiting is driving her crazy.

"I know it might be a silly question," Heather says, waking Evie to reality. "But what does your heart say? Who could be the child's father?"

"I... I don't know..." Evie looks lost. "I wish for this baby to be Nikki's... I... I don't know..."

"I want to be Nikki's too," Heather smiles sympathetically. "That would solve the problem."

"I hope so. Until then... we'll wait."

"Hey, why doesn't you and Nikki come over for dinner with us tonight? It would reduce this stress with the DNA test. What do you say?"

"I think it's a good idea," Evie smiles.

"I can't wait for you to come," Heather smiles sincerely.

After a few hours...

After Nikki gets home, he and Evie go home to Tommy and Heather. Laura is most excited to see them there. All 5 have dinner in peace.

Evie watches Nikki, who has been unusually quiet since he came home. She's so confused. But she says to herself that he may have had a hard day. Or most likely he's thinking about tomorrow. When they find out who the baby's father is. That must be it. He's as stressed as she is.

She feels her hand touched and looks up at Nikki who smiles gently and says:

"Do you want to go out with me for a while?"

"Yes," she answers.

The two apologize and go out into the garden. It is dark and the moon in the sky is full, surrounded by stars. The two reach the artesian well, from where its sound can be heard everywhere. Here, Nikki stops and takes Evie's hand and looks her deep in the eye.

"Is everything okay?" She asks him worriedly. "Are you stressed about tomorrow? The test result..."

"Yes, I think all the time about it," Nikki says weakly.

"I'm afraid that if the baby is Patrick's, it could affect our relationship," Evie says with a sad look and looks down.

"Evie..."

The brunette hears Nikki's soft voice and feels her chin lift and the next thing she sees are his beautiful eyes in the darkness. Her heartbeat grows just looking at him. There is a faint smile on his face.

"If the baby is not mine," he says, "that will not change the fact that I love you so much. I will continue to be with you. You will be such a wonderful mother, Ev. You'll see. I noticed how well you do with the kids."

"And you will be a wonderful father, she smiles at him. "Even if you are not the biological father of this baby, you will be wonderful. My brother adores you. So is Laura. You will see how wonderful everything will be."

"I'm sure of that, babe," he smiles. "There's something else," his eyes get a special glow. "I wanted to wait until tomorrow for the test result. But I can't wait. I love you Evie, so I don't care if this baby isn't mine. So..."

Evie follows Nikki, who leans back a little and kneels in front of her. She widens her eyes confused and gasps in surprise when she sees that he pulls out a small box that he opens immediately. Inside is a gold ring with a large diamond in the middle. At this point, Evie's heartbeat goes crazy. She feels her heart going up to her throat.

Evie puts a hand to her chest, still staring at Nikki, who says:

"Evie. I want you to be my wife before this baby is born. And I don't care if it's not mine. I had to do this a long time ago. But the drugs had taken over my mind and I couldn't see how hurtful I was... And you were still beside me trying to show me the right way. I love you so much for this... So... do you want to marry me, my dear?"

"Damn it! Yes! Of course I want!" Evie exclaims and Nikki laughs at her reaction.

He gets up and walks over to her, sees tears in her brown eyes. He extends his hand and she gives her hand to him and he carefully puts the ring on her finger. Tears well up on her cheeks as she looks at the ring and then at Nikki. She throws herself into his arms, telling him:

"I love you!"

"I love you too, honey," he smiles and caresses her back.

"You made me so happy tonight," she says, looking deep into his eyes.

"And from now on I will always make you happy, darling," he strokes her cheek. "I don't want you to shed tears because of me. As you have done in the past. We will be a family from now on."

"I can't wait for that," she smiles and catches his lips in a fiery kiss.

But the kiss doesn't last long because they hear some laughter. They both look at the house, through the huge glass door, Tommy and Heather waves at them and laugh. They saw everything. Nikki and Evie look at each other amused and kiss again.

The next day...

Nikki and Evie arrived at the clinic to find out the result of the DNA test. They meet Patrick in the hallway. They share some strange greetings and enter the doctor's office. The doctor greets them, sitting from his desk. He takes the test result and looks at it.

Nikki takes Evie's hand, his heart pounding. Patrick notices the engagement ring on Evie's finger. He sighs at the thought that he wanted to give her a similar ring a few months ago, but it never happened. And it will never happen again because Evie seems madly in love with Nikki. Even if the baby is his, it won't change anything between them. Evie will still be with Nikki.

The doctor begins to speak, reading what is written on the test results:

"Reading these results I can deduce that between the two potential fathers, Patrick Cohen and Nikki Sixx... The biological father is..."