Chapter 29

After a year... January 1989...

The bedroom door opens and Evie hears a voice:

"Hey, honey? Are you ready?"

The brunette who is standing in front of the mirror, putting earrings in her ears, turns around and sees her boyfriend who is staring at her, with his hand on the doorknob.

"Wow," he says, and approaches her. "You look great, honey."

"Thank you," Evie smiles as Patrick walks towards her and kisses her softly on the lips.

"I'm serious," he whispers, looking her in the eye with one hand on her face. "You look sublime."

"You too, darling," she smiles at him. "Are we going? I don't want to be late for the party."

"Of course, honey," he kisses her once more on the lips and takes her hand and leaves the room.

They get out of the house and then they get in the limousine and head to the party. Evie is going to meet Heather and Tommy there. She hadn't seen them in a long time, and Heather invited her and Patrick to the party.

How did Evie become Patrick's girlfriend? After breaking up with Nikki, Evie was sad and cried alone for about two months. She then went to the studio and resumed her music career. There she met Patrick. He was amazed to learn that she had broken up with Nikki. It didn't take long for him to ask her to go on a date with him. Although Evie was still heartbroken, she agreed. And they've been together ever since. Patrick relieved the pain in her soul, after the breakup with Nikki. And he makes her so happy. He seems like the perfect boyfriend. And yet something seems to be missing from her life. She always thinks about the past. A past she can't forget so easily. Probably never.

Eventually, the couple arrives at the party where there are several celebrities. Actors, mostly singers. What intrigues Evie is that there are many rock singers. And she prays that among them is not the person she is thinking of.

"Hey, babe. Are you ok?" Patrick asks her, seeing that she looks uneasy.

"Oh, yes," she smiles weakly. "I'm fine. Oh, look! Heather and Tommy arrived too. Let's go to them."

The brunette pulls his hand and goes to the other couple who have just entered.

"Evie!" Heather exclaims and goes and hugs her. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Evie smiles.

Patrick and Tommy talk to each other, Heather looks at them and then asks Evie:

"How did you come after all? You haven't been to a party in a long time."

"I've been in the house too long. I need some relaxation."

"That's right, girl. You really need it. I finally see you happy."

The last sentence makes Evie think more. She thinks about Nikki again. Because Heather is probably referring to the time they were together a year ago.

"How is Laura?" Evie asks to put aside the discomfort she feels.

"Oh, she was already asleep when I left home. She has already made us a whole list of what gifts she wants for her birthday next month."

Evie giggles when she hears how adorable Laura is. She often visits Laura and spends a lot of time together. The little one will turn 3 next month. And in a month it will be 3 years since her mother, Amelie, died. The last thought saddened her. 3 painful years without her best friend.

Laura looks so much like Amelie. But she also looks like Tommy. She's a beautiful combination of them. The little girl will be heartbroken when she grows up.