Chapter 9

"Hey girl!" Amelie says entering Evie's car.

"Hey, Am," Evie says in a low voice, the sadness visible on her face.

"Are you ok? You know you don't have to take me to work every day. It is not an obligation."

"What are you saying Amelie? It's not about that," Evie mutters and presses the accelerator pedal, the car speeding forward.

"You look changed," Amelie raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Evie asks herself the same question as she continues to drive. She's not okay at all. She found out something she didn't think she would ever find out in her entire life. But what did she actually find out? She's just suspecting something. But she has solid evidence. And she will not leave it and she will unravel this mystery soon.

"Amelie... Do you know when you were with me at my teacher's funeral?" Evie asks in an unusually calm voice, still looking at the road.

"Yes..." Amelie begins to feel that her cousin will tell her something scary.

In less than five minutes, Evie tells her cousin everything she's discovered so far.
Amelie is shocked, with a wide mouth and wide eyes.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" She screams.

"No, Amelie... It's true... Yes, I know... Unimaginable. I'm still in shock... I don't understand... I'm so confused... What's going on in my family? Was I adopted after my father died? I mean, he's not my father..."

"Ev..." Amelie puts a hand to her mouth, her face is concerned and uncomfortable at the same time. "I don't want to upset you more than you are now... But you thought maybe... You know... Your mother..."

"Yes. I was thinking that my mother had a relationship or an affair after she became a widow. You can say it, Am. I do not mind. I thought about that too. Who knows who is my real father. Maybe my biological father lives in this town. Maybe I passed him and I didn't know anything. I can't believe it!"
From here the brunette's voice fills with frustration and tears form in her eyes. "My mother! She is so religious and she had a child out of wedlock?! And she now pretends to be a saint and does not make mistakes and stresses me to be a good Christian! She? Who is the most good and wise woman in town?! Or let's just say it's not like that. Maybe she adopted me. I hope so! But why didn't she tell me?! I'm 20, Am! Almost 21! What the?! How could she do such a thing to me?"

"Ev..." Amelie puts a hand on her cousin's shoulder, and her eyes fill with tears. "I'm so sorry... I think it's best to stop the car and calm down a bit. Ok?"

"Oh," Evie quickly wipes away the tears that run down her cheeks with the back of her hand. "I'm sorry... That's what I'm going to do..."

"And okay, take a deep breath. Everything will be fine," her cousin speaks calmly.

In about a minute, Evie stops the car at the side of a road. Amelie hugs her.

"Does that mean I'm not your cousin?" Evie asks and looks up at Amelie, her eyes full of tears.

Amelie is the daughter of Evie's "father's" brother. So if Evie isn't Gavin's daughter, she's not Amelie's cousin either.

"Evie! Never say that again! You will always be my cousin! It doesn't matter that we are not related! We have a stronger connection, girl! A soul connection. No one can ever break that."

"You're right," Evie smiles and a tear slips down her face.

"What are you going to do now? I mean your mom..."

"I'll... I'll confront her about it. And I want my sister to be there too. She was 17 when I was born! She sure knows everything and maybe she hid it just like my mom!"