Chapter 54

April 1995...

Evie watches her children who are in the garden and playing. Bryce will be a year old in a few weeks, recently, he learned to walk. Now his older siblings are helping him walk. If he falls, Asher and Raelynn help him up and the little one continues to run after them. Their dog, Rexx, runs0 after them, being like a guardian for the three children.

Evie, who has been sitting on the sunbed and watching her children until then, looks back because Nikki also appears. A wide smile appears on her face and her husband is getting closer and closer to her.

"Hey, babe," she says with a smile.

He sits down next to her, placing his hands on her body and kisses her briefly on the lips and watches the children. Evie starts to get suspicious because she sees a small trace of unhappiness and instability in Nikki's face.

"They look so happy today," he says in a hoarse voice looking at them, but it seems his mind is elsewhere.

"Yes, they are," Evie smiles and looks at the children again. "Today it is so beautiful. So much sun that we couldn't help but go outside."

There is silence. Nikki doesn't say anything anymore. Evie starts to get impatient and something seems wrong.

"Bryce's first birthday is approaching," Evie says, looking at her husband. "We should start making some preparations..."

She does not receive any answer from her husband and her anxiety increases and she can no longer refrain and says:

"Nikki? Did you hear what I said?"

"Huh? What?" He shudders and looks at her just as confused. "What you said?"

"What's wrong with you? You are acting weird. Did something bad happen?"

Nikki sighs and shifts his gaze back to the children and replies to his wife:

"It's about Vince... I contacted him and found out that his daughter... Skylar is sick..."

"Oh..." Evie is surprised by such news. "But it's nothing serious, is it? She's going to be okay, isn't it? Please tell me she will be fine..."

"She has a big tumor around her abdomen," Nikki sighs It's serious.

"Oh, God!" Evie cries and covers her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide with shock.

Her cry attracts the attention of her children who look confused at their mother.

"Mommy?" Asher asks. "What happened?"

"Nothing... Nothing, sweetie," Evie tries to control her emotions and lowers her hands from her face and gestures to her son that everything is fine. "Keep playing with your siblings."

The children continue to play and Evie sighs and looks at her husband who looks sad as she does.

"What are we going to tell Asher? Oh my God... He likes Skylar so much... And Skylar... poor little girl... It's so unfair. I can't imagine how her parents feel now... I will contact Sharise soon and give her my full support. I can't imagine if something similar would happen to one of our children... It's awful," Evie says and rests her head on Nikki's shoulder.

He sighs and strokes her head, looking lost on their children. The image of one of them is as sick as Skylar, makes him sick. He hopes this never happens.

After a few days...

"Mommy, where are we going?" Asher asks his mother who put a sweater on him.

"I told you. Skylar is sick... Well... we're going to pay her a visit... But without your siblings. Your father will stay with them. Skylar needs rest and I think it's better if only you can see her now."

"Oh..." Asher looks suddenly sad. "Will Skylar be okay?" He asks with an innocent look at his mother.

Evie holds back the tears she feels are forming in her eyes. What could she tell him? Nobody knows anything. Nobody knows if Skylar will be okay.

So she gets up and holds out her hand to her son, saying:

"Let's go, sweetie. Skylar is waiting for you."

The boy doesn't say anything anymore and takes his mother's hand and leaves the house. He gets in the car with his mother who first makes sure she puts him in the car seat and buckles his seat belts.

After 40 minutes, Evie parks the car in the parking lot of the hospital where Skylar is hospitalized. She goes and helps her son take off his seatbelt and Asher gets out of the car with his mother and heads to the hospital.

They go inside and Evie asks at the reception room where Skylar is. Then they take the elevator to the 5th floor and arrive in front of Skylar's room. The room door is made of glass and Evie and Asher see Skylar lying in bed. Her face is so pale. Next to her is Sharise, who has red, puffy eyes, most likely how much she cried.

She sees the two of them, says something to her daughter, and gets up from the chair and walks, opens the door, and says to Evie and Asher:

"Hey... We are happy to see you," his gaze shifts to Asher. "Skylar is waiting for you."

The boy smiles and goes inside, next to Skylar's bed. Although the girl looks in a lot of pain, she smiles when she sees the boy. Asher walks closer to her, and their mothers hear what the two are saying:

"I hope you feel better soon," says Asher to Skylar.

"I'm happy you came, Asher," Skylar smiles weakly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," says the boy and takes the girl's hand in his.

Sharise and Evie smile at the sight in front of them. They both leave the room, but look at their children through the glass door.

"Thank you for coming," Sharise says with a lost look.

"I told you before... If you need anything... Don't hesitate to tell me."

"All I want," says the blonde and looks at her daughter, "is for her to be healthy again."

"I can't imagine how you feel now," Evie says sadly. "I have three children... if something bad happens to them..."

"Live with them every moment, Evie," Sharise says, still looking at her daughter.

Evie would like to say something else but she doesn't know what. But she sees Sharise starting to cry and takes her in her arms, trying to comfort her, although how could she help her at this moment? She just hopes for a miracle. A hope for Skylar to be okay.