Chapter 44

After one month...

"Honey?" Nikki climbs the stairs and calls his wife.

But he gets no answer. He goes into their bedroom and Evie can't be found there either.

"Ev? Where are you?"

"Coming!"

Finally, he hears her voice. It comes from the bathroom. He looks at the door and walks towards it and just then the door opens. He is appalled to see his wife with tears in her eyes.

"Babe?" He asks, touching her on the shoulder. "What happened? Why are you crying?"

"There are tears of happiness!" She cries and jumps into his arms.

He almost loses his balance and falls with his wife, but he grabs her by the waist and holds her. He is still confused and asks her:

"What is it?"

She gets closer to him and whispers in his ear, alluringly:

"I'm pregnant!"

"What..." Nikki is taken by surprise by the news. "Are you... Are you sure?"

"Yes!" She shouts and stares into his eyes and shows him the positive test in her hand that he had never seen till now. "See? I felt sick for a few days and it seems that was the cause. Are you... Are you happy?"

"How could I not be?" He says and cups her face with his hands and kisses her on the lips.

After the kiss, Evie gets down from him and says:

"Asher will be one year and 10 months old when this baby is born. They will be so close in age. They will be the best friends."

"They sure will be, honey," Nikki says, looking deeply into his wife's eyes and putting aside a strand of her hair.

"By the way... Where's Asher?" The brunette looks at the door. "You just didn't leave him alone."

"Of course not, babe. Looks like... my mom came to visit... She's down with Asher."

"Oh," Evie calms down a bit. "I didn't know she was coming."

"It seems that she made a surprise," Nikki smiles weakly with a direct look at his wife.

Deana has become determined and devoted since Nikki knew her. But her son still feels a little repulsion towards her. But he's happy to see her spending time with Asher. She really tries to make everything perfect and spoils her grandson a lot. Nikki likes to look at them and imagine that Asher was him when they were the same age. Deana wanted a chance and she has it. Hope she doesn't do something wrong again.

There is a knock on the door and the two turn their heads and see Deana in the door frame with little Asher in her arms.

"Sorry to bother you," the woman smiles and looks at her grandson. "But I think Asher is hungry."

"Oh, I'll feed him right away," Evie smiles.

"Anyway," Deana looks at them suspiciously. "Are you ok? Is everything okay?"

Evie looks up at her husband, smiling broadly, her eyes filled with happiness.

"Can we tell her?" She asks Nikki in a whisper.

"Of course," Nikki smiles.

Deana walks to the two with Asher in her arms and Evie says:

"I found out I'm pregnant!"

"Oh my God! This is great news!" Deana's face is radiating. "Really... it's really wonderful! Congratulations!"

"Thank you," says her son, smiling slightly.

"Did you hear it, Asher?" Deana looks at the little boy and asks him. "You will have a brother or a sister. Are you happy?"

Asher looks a little confused at first and then laughs and claps his tiny hands. All 3 adults laugh.

After one week...

Nikki and Evie and Asher go to Tommy and Heather's house. Today is Laura's birthday. Evie's father and stepmother come there and of course Anthony is here too. The rest of Nikki and Tommy's bandmates are there with their wives.

Evie leans over to her son and gives him a small gift in his small hands.

"Go and give it to Laura," her mother says softly.

The little boy does exactly that and walks with small steps towards the girl and hands her the gift, telling her:

"Present!"

"Oh for me?" Laura puts her hands on her chest and takes the gift. Thanks! She says to the boy and bends down and kisses him on the cheek.

The boy laughs, claps his hands and runs to his mother who smiles at him and takes him in her arms.

After a few hours, Evie's family leaves and the rest of the guests are at the table and talking while Laura and Asher play in the living room. The girl unwraps her presents, helped by the little boy.

"We'd like to make an announcement," Evie says, smiling at her husband.

"But why didn't you make the announcement when your folks were here?" Heather asks with a look of confusion on her face.

"They already know," Evie is smiling.

"Okay. It's getting interesting, Heather is smiling. What it is?"

"I'm pregnant!" Evie exclaims.

"Oh my God!" Heather exclaims. "I told you girl! I told you will get pregnant soon!"

Everyone at the table congratulates Nikki and Evie on having another baby.

"So you will give birth in September?" Heather asks Evie.

"Yes! And it looks like you in August. Maybe our kids will go to the same school. Wouldn't that be wonderful?"

"It would be indeed wonderful!" Heather smiles.

"And guess where it was conceived..." Nikki glances at Tommy.

His bandmate, who is drinking from a glass, chokes, after looking at Nikki's gaze.

"Oh, honey. Are you ok?" Heather asks him, patting his back.

"I... I'm fine," he answers, putting a hand on his neck.

"It seems that your bathroom is also perfect for conceiving babies," Nikki grins slyly.

He barely says that everyone at the table is starting to laugh out loud. Probably heard all over town. Laura and Asher look at them confused. The girl adds:

"Grow ups are so weird."

Back at the table, after everyone calms down, Nikki says to Tommy:

"That's revenge."

Tommy grins, takes his glass from the table and drinks from it, not before to say:

"I think it's fair."

Again, everyone starts laughing.

"Don't tell children where they were conceived," Mick says.

"We're afraid they'll find out anyway," Evie laughs.