Chapter 36

The next day...

Evie with the phone in her ear, is waiting for Patrick to answer. How much she wants not to do it. She never imagined she would call him back so soon to tell him such news. Shocking news. She shivers at the sound of his voice:

Patrick: "Hello?"

"Hey... It's me... Evie," says the brunette swallowing hard.

Patrick: "Evie? Oh, hi. I didn't expect you to call me. Are you ok?"

"Not really... Look... I called you because I have to tell you something very important..."

Patrick: "Okay. I am all ears."

Evie takes a deep breath and says in a hurried voice:

"I'm pregnant and you may be the father!"

There is no sound. Evie gets impatient and thinks the phone line has broken down. So she says:

"Hello? Patrick? Are you still there?"

Patrick: Yeah... I'm just... shocked... I didn't expect that.

"Neither do I," Evie sighs, placing a hand on her forehead.

Patrick: "I wanted you to give me such news when we were together... But honestly... I'm not disappointed! I'm so glad you gave me such news!"

"What the?!" Evie is really appalled. "Are you excited about such news?"

Patrick: "Yes, Evie. Even if we are no longer together, I want to raise this child with you. This baby certainly came with a purpose."

"Oh, wait a minute. It may not be yours. It could be Nikki's. I would like you both to test and see who the father is."

Patrick: "Okay. I will do that too. Whatever you want. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

"Of course," says Evie weakly. "I have my first ultra-sound tomorrow. You could-"

Patrick: "I will definitely come!"

"Good... I have to go now. Talk tomorrow."

Patrick: "Okay, Evie. Take care of yourself and take care of the baby too. Goodbye."

"Goodbye," says Evie and hungs up.

She puts the phone back in its place and bows her head and sighs. She covers her face with her hands and murmurs disparately:

"I can't do this..."

She hears footsteps behind her and feels arms around her and hears whispers in her ear:

"You can do anything. I'm with you, honey. I will help you overcome any obstacle."

Evie looks up at Nikki and smiles lovingly at him. He kisses her on the temple and pulls her closer to him.

"I love you so much..." she says with a dreamy look.

"I love you more," he smiles at her and kisses her lips.

The next day...

Evie and Nikki go to the first ultra-sound of the baby. They both hope that everything is fine.

They both enter the examination room. Evie is disappointed that Patrick is not there. She wonders what happened to him. But she tries not to pay too much attention to this detail and focus on the baby.

She sits on the examination table, Nikki is next to her holding her hand. She feels a little uncomfortable when she puts that cold gel on her tummy. In front of them is a large screen where they immediately see something. A small point there. Nothing vague so far.

"Congratulations," says the technician. "You are 5 weeks pregnant. Everything seems fine so far."

Evie smiles broadly and looks at the screen where her baby is seen. Is that how Amelie felt years ago when she had Laura's first ultra-sound? She will never know. But she probably felt as excited as she did. She looks up at Nikki who pay full attention to the screen.

"Babe?" She calls him.

He looks down at her, smiling, his eyes shining, and shaking his hand. He kisses her on the temple and then says:

"That's so wonderful darling... But," he's looking at the screen again. "I don't see anything there."

Evie and the technician look at each other and giggle, Nikki is still confused.

"Of course, nothing is seen yet," the technician clarifies. "The pregnancy is at the beginning. In a few weeks the baby will form more and more and will look like a small human being. You'll see. It's your first baby, isn't it?" The technician smiles.

"Isn't it obvious?" Evie laughs and looks at Nikki who is smiling.

The two of them are barely out of the examination room when they hear a voice:

"Evie!"

They turn and see Patrick running towards them. He stops in front of them, taking a deep breath.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. But something happened," Patrick says, looking embarrassed.

Nikki looks bothered and turns to him with folded arms and says ironically:

"If you want to be in this child's life, you should do it properly. Evie hoped you would come today."

"Hey! I said something happened. And stop judging me! You know nothing about my life!" Patrick points at Nikki with an annoyed expression.

Nikki frowns at him and makes a step toward him, but Evie pulls him by the hand, stopping him. She looks at them both, sighs and says:

"Stop arguing like children! One of you will be a father soon! You should behave as such!"

They both take humble looks and calm down. Nikki approaches Evie, took her hand in his and whispers:

"Sorry, babe..."

Evie smiles weakly and watches Patrick, who approaches her and says:

"I'm sorry, Evie. You are right. But tell me... Is everything okay with the baby?"

"Yes," Evie smiles. "Everything is as it should be. In 4 weeks, when I will be 9 weeks pregnant, you two could do the DNA test. A non-invasive prenatal paternity test. It is the safest for the baby, because I do not want any risk."

"Okay. I can't wait," Patrick smiles and looks at her stomach and smiles more.

Nikki seems even more annoyed when he sees Patrick staring at Evie's stomach. The place where her child grows up. He hopes that is his baby. Not Patrick's. But even if he is not the father, he must love this child. Because it's Evie's. This baby will be wondeful just like her.

"Can I see the ultra-sound picture?" Patrick asks her again.

"Of course," she answers and takes the ultra-sound picture out of her purse and hands it to Patrick.

"Oh gosh!" He exclaims at the picture in his hands. "It looks like a pea! So small."

"For now," Evie smiles. "This baby will grow big soon."

Nikki looks at Evie. At her face. He hopes the baby will look like her. To inherit her bright smile and dimples. That would be great.

Standing like this and admiring her, he gets over any upset and forgets that he quarreled with Patrick. He would stay and stare at her for so long.