Chapter 66

After 2 months...

In a few days, it's the big day when Nikki will return home from rehab. Evie couldn't wait. So are the children. They ask her daily questions about their father. Fortunately, Nikki calls them and talks to them every day.  But she and the children can't wait to see him in front of them.

Those 3 months without him were awful, but in a few days Nikki will be reunited with his family. All this will happen in a few days. 

Now she is at the clinic because she has an appointment. She walks inside and almost reaches the office when a pregnant woman comes out, followed by a technician. The woman is holding onto the wall, and she can barely walk, her other hand is under her baby bump. 

Evie gasps in surprise when she notices that is Jenna. Patrick's wife. What happened to her? She doesn't look good at all. Evie doesn't wait to ask herself more questions and goes toJenna, asking: 

"What happened?"

Jenna looks up at Evie, her mouth half open, only then she sees her. She has a very scared look.

The technician is the one who answers to Evie, given the fact that Jenna is too dismayed:

"She was going to have an ultra-sound. Her last ultra-sound before giving birth, but it seems that her water has broken and it seems that her contractions have already started to be frequent."

"Oh, then you have to go to the hospital!" Evie exclaims worriedly at Jenna. "Where's Patrick?"

"He... He's not in town... Ouch!" She cry, closing her eyes, a contraction coming.

"I'll take you to the hospital!" Evie says firmly.

Soon, they arrive at the hospital, and Evie helps Jenna out of the car and enters with her. There she is taken to the delivery room, being already dilated. But before she gets there Evie speaks calmly to her:

"Everything will be alright. Don't worry. Your husband will come soon and you will hold your baby soon."

Jenna, still in pain, smiles weakly at her.

An hour passes and the baby is not yet born. Evie forgot about her appointment. She will reappointment another day.

She really didn't expect that to happen today. Although she is not friends with Jenna, she feels sorry for her because she is alone and does not have her husband with her at this time.

Fortunately, Patrick arrives with a panicked look at his wife. Jenna, with a sweaty face, smiles at him.

"Babe... I came," he says, and goes to his wife and takes her hand.

"Now I'll leave you alone," Evie smiles and leaves before Patrick reacts in any way.

The brunette walks down the hall, passes the reception and leaves the hospital.

When she almost reaches the car, her cell phone rings. She takes it out of her pocket and answers:

"Hello?"

???: Can you come home sooner? Please! These kids are killing me!

Evie chuckles. She's talking to her brother Anthony. He came to visit her after coming from the University and offered to stay with the children, saying that he should spend more time with his nephews and nieces. In the background, the voices of her children can be heard screaming and seeming to run through the house.

Evie doesn't even know how fast time has passed. When she first saw Anthony he was only 3 years old and now he is 19. 16 years. It's been 16 years since she also met Nikki.