Chapter 55

August 1995...

Evie looks in the rearview mirror for a moment and sees the reflection of Asher sitting in his car seat. The boy looks out the window thoughtfully. His mother turns her gaze and attention to the road and squeezes harder the steering wheel. She knows too well what her son is thinking. He's thinking about Skylar. She will have surgery tomorrow. A major surgery. She hopes that in the end she will be good because in these months she has been tormented to unimaginable pain and suffering. 

Skylar told her mother she wanted to see Asher before the operation. So Evie took him in the car and headed for the hospital.

Eventually they arrive at the hospital, they both get out of the car and head to the hospital entrance. No one says a word. But Evie gently presses her son's hand and the little one raises his eyes of a color so wonderful as his father's and stares at his mother who looks at him unimpeded. She smiles anxiously and says:

"Skylar will be so happy to see you."

"I know that," Asher smiles. "I hope she'll be fine tomorrow after the operation."

Evie says nothing more and enters the elevator with her son. They reach the floor where Skylar is hospitalized and reach her room. Sharise comes out, looking a little surprised to see them. But she smiles weakly and says:

"I'm glad you came. Asher... Skylar can't wait to see you. She talks about you all the time. Go to her."

The boy smiles and Sharise open the glass door and Asher goes inside and stops by her bed and talks to Skylar.

Sharise and Evie look through the transparent door and smile. Evie stares at Sharise intently. Only she knows how she feels right now. Tomorrow is a crucial day for Skylar.

"I hope the operation is successful tomorrow," says Evie. "I hope Skylar will recover as soon as possible."

"Thank you," Sharise smiles weakly and continues to look at her daughter who talk to Asher. "Did you see it? The unicorn Asher gave to Skylar a few months ago... It's on the bed next to her."

Evie looks curiously at Skylar and sees that next to her is the unicorn that her son gave her.

"Skylar asked me to bring it," Sharise smiles and looks at Evie. "She said she wanted to have it close. When this unicorn is near, she feels Asher close. That's what she told me."

"Oh, my God," Evie smiles melancholy and tries not to burst into tears.

"She wants to wake up tomorrow from surgery and see the unicorn," Sharise says, watching the two children again.

Both women look at their children who continue to communicate. Skylar is lying on the bed talking to Asher. The next gesture that the boy will make will surprise everyone. He approaches the girl and kisses her on the forehead. The little girl smiles warmly and extends her hand to him, which he takes in his.

Evie and Sharise melt at this scene.

The next day...

"Mommy, did you call?"

Evie has a headache. Asher has asked the same question at least 10 times so far. He's waiting to hear about Skylar's operation. But she doesn't know if the operation is over. But Evie decides to get up from the chair and go and pick up the phone and dial the phone number and call.
Asher walks over to her and looks impatiently at his mother.

"Is Skylar okay?" Asher asks nervously.

"Oh, my God... Asher! No one has even answered me yet," Evie sighs. "Be patient."