Chapter 26

Nikki arrives at the hospital with Tommy. But he doesn't remember how he got here. His mind is too dizzy and blurry. The shock he has is extremely big. He didn't expect the evening to end that way. He didn't expect this to happen after the fight with Evie.

He feels like he's going to have a heart attack until he gets to Evie and finds out if she's okay. What if he gets the news that Evie didn't make it? That's not possible! If Evie dies, he'll lose his mind. He will have that memory of her arguing with him and leaving by car before her death.

His bandmate looks at him concernedly. He would like to ask him if he's okay. But of course he's not okay at all. Something bad happened to Evie. He hopes she's fine. Otherwise Nikki will never be the same man again.

They get close to the room where they were told Evie is. But they are amazed to see Olivia and Florence there. Evie's grandmother and mother. They are waiting in the hallway, with worried faces. They turn to the two when they hear them coming. There is instant anger on Olivia's face and she steps towards Nikki, pointing at him angrily:

"You! Because of you Evie almost lost her life! The doctor told us she was taking drugs! You gave her drugs, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?" Nikki stares confused at Olivia and repulsed.

He hears Tommy sighing and looks at him bewildered.

"I forgot to tell you," his bandmate says. "When Heather called me... she told me that someone had put drugs in Evie's drink..."

"What the?!" Nikki exclaims shocked.

"So don't blame Nikki anymore," Tommy says firmly to Olivia, who frowns at the old woman. "It's not his fault that your granddaughter took drugs. It was someone else."

"I don't care!" Olivia spats her words much raging. "It was because of him that all this happened!" The old woman points back to Nikki.

"Mother," Florence approaches her mother and pulls her hand, having a calmer look. "This is not the time to do that. That's not why we came here. We came to see if Evie is fine."

"How's Evie?" Nikki asks Florence notices that she is calmer than Olivia.

"Fortunately Evie is alive," Florence smiles weakly. "She was lucky."

"Oh, thanks God," Nikki puts a hand to his chest and sighs in relief.

"Don't dare talk about God!" Olivia scolds him harshly.

"Mother! Stop it!" Her daughter rebukes her.

Nikki doesn't care that Evie's grandmother is angry with him and looks behind them, where a doctor walks towards them.

"Are you Evie Martin's family?" The doctor asks.

"Yes," Florence answers. "How is Evie now?"

"Better. She was very lucky. It seems that some people, after taking drugs, may have heart attacks or they have a high risk of sudden death. Every body reacts differently and if someone does not die after taking drugs it does not mean that someone else cannot. Evie had a seizure while driving. And so she got to the lake. She was very lucky that several drivers stopped and until the help came, one of them threw himself into the lake and took her out."

"How is she now? Can I see her?" Nikki asks impatiently.

"Yes. She hasn't opened her eyes yet, but she will soon. Mrs. and Miss Martin have already seen her."

Nikki takes a few steps to the doctor to take him to Evie's room. Olivia wants to go in front of him to block his walk. But Florence pulls her hand away and motions for her to calm down.