Chapter 20

A/N

This chapter will be very dramatic. So get ready. Although I don't think you can prepare. I hope you don't hate me after I write it.

After two weeks...

"How cute you are, little one!" Exclaims Evie, who is holding little Laura in her arms.

Evie is at Amelie's home in the nursery. Her cousin is there with her and looks at her daughter with great love. Above the bed, hang photos of Amelie, Tommy and Laura, taken a week ago. Although they are no longer together, they took pictures together. For Laura. And they look like a real family. So beautiful.

The baby opens her small eyes and makes cute cooing noises, looking at Evie.

"Aw! Do you see me, my dear? Look at how beautiful you are!"

The baby puts a hand to her mouth and sucks her fist.

"Someone is hungry," Evie chuckles and gives Laura to her mother.

Amelie, smiling, takes her daughter in her arms and goes and sits on the nursery chair and breastfeeds Laura. Evie walks past them, unable to take her eyes off the baby.

"I swear Laura is causing me baby fever. Oh, Amelie... I'm so jealous of you. You have the most perfect baby."

"Laura is really completing my life," Amelie is looking attentively at her daughter who is eating with her eyes closed.

"You know... I was wondering what it's like with Tommy now? At the hospital, he didn't seem to take his eyes off Laura and you. I saw how he looked at you and how he touched you."

"Oh... He's changed... He seems more loving, more caring for Laura..."

"And for you," Evie grins.

"Okay, maybe," Amelie grins and rolls her eyes. "He does his father's job very well. I wouldn't have to complain."

"Oh, you guys really don't have a chance to reconcile?" Evie looks disappointed at her. "You are so cute together."

"No, Evie," Amelie sighs. "What was between us was short and now is over. Everything that connects us is Laura. He's going to marry Heather in three months. That's it. Happiness will come to me too... one day..."

"That's how it will be," Evie smiles sympathetically and rests a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh, anyway, would you like to come with me and Laura? She has a check-up at the doctor in an hour."

"I'll definitely come. I could even drive."

"No need," Amelie smiles softly. "I can already drive. I'm good."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. We wait until Laura finishes eating and we leave."

"Okay."

In about 10 minutes, little Laura finishes eating. Amelie puts her in the car seat, the little girl sleeps. And together with Evie, she leaves the house and gets in the car. Evie helps Amelie fasten her seat belts around the baby's seat. After she finishes, she goes to the car on the right. Amelie also gets in the car, turns on the car and starts the road to the hospital.

"And," Amelie says, smiling, "how is you and Nikki doing?"

Evie is a little taken aback by her question. That day, when he was caught taking drugs, she returned home late. He was there. He was sleeping in bed. She went and slept in another room. They didn't talk to each other in the morning. Although he stared at her non-stop, they did not utter a word. Evie was very disappointed in him, but and at the same time she wanted to go to him, to hold him in her arms, to hold him close. Although he continues to do something that is not healthy at all, she loves him very much.

A few more days passed in which they did not speak to each other. They never slept in the same bed. By the time she got home in the evening, he was in front of the house. Nikki had a nervous but loving look. He knelt before her and apologized, Evie almost bursting into tears. Afterwards, he got up, took her hand and they entered the house. He led her inside in the dark bedroom, with dozens of candles and rose petals on the floor and in bed.

He looked at her desirably, which made Evie's heart melt. The next thing she remembers was that they were both in bed, kissing passionately and making love all night. That's how they got along that night. Now everything seems ok between them. She hopes so. If she catches him taking drugs again, she'll go crazy.

"Ev?" Amelie looks at her confused.

"Oh, yes," Evie winces, back to reality. "What were you saying?"

"I was saying... how are you and Nikki?"

"We are ok."

"Sure?" Amelie asks her out of the corner of her eye, a trace of doubt on her face.

"Yes, Amelie. We argued, but we're okay now."

"I'm glad to hear that, girl. Tommy told me there was tension between the two of you."

"It was," Evie smiles weakly. "I hope it doesn't happen anymore."

"I hope so too. You two are not like Tommy and I am. You are made for each other. Maybe I'll attend your wedding soon," Amelie grins.

"Maybe," Evie smiles, blushing.

"So I was thinking," says Amelie looking at Evie for a few seconds, "that Laura's appointment  to go somewhere. How about we go to the mall? What do you say? Laura would like some fresh air and-"

"Amelie! Watch out!" Evie shouts with a frightened face and points to the windshield.

Her cousin looks ahead. In front of them, another car is heading in the opposite direction. Amelie's hands freeze on the steering wheel, as does her gaze. She doesn't know what else she can do.

Everything is too fast. No one could react so quickly to avoid the collision that is taking place now. The other car crashes violently into their car, after the two women scream hysterically. The collision is so strong that their car overturns on the road, rolling on the field a few times until it reaches on the wheels again, but looking in a deplorable way, hit very hard and with broken windows.

But what's worse is that one of the women wakes up with a bloody face looking around in fear. Her hands shake as she looks at them, which are full of blood. Her head hurts a lot. Probably a few shards got into her head. She looks back, she sees Laura, who seems to be safe and unharmed in the car seat.

The woman looks the other way and sees the other woman full of blood and unconscious. Her head is tilted to one side, most likely her neck is broken. She puts a trembling hand to the wrist of her hand and hopes with all her heart to feel her pulse but feels nothing.

"No! No! No!" She screams uncontrollably.

A/N

I'm so sorry I left you a cliffhanger. I think you're wondering who the injured one is. Evie or Amelie? You will find out in the next chapter.