Chapter 10

"Are you telling me what's going on?!" Evie screams so loud her throat hurts, she'll most likely have a hoarse voice later.

Olivia sighs and looks superficially at Florence. Florence has a anxious look on her face, white like a ghost. While Evie has a red face, and is overwhelmed with anger and frustration waiting for an answer. But the two women do not give her any answer. So Evie takes the document from the table, and show it to them, shouting:

"What is this? Is this my birth certificate? My real birth certificate? Why the hell does it say here that Florence is my mother?!"

Olivia sighs, puts a hand to her temple and gives Florence an ignorant look and says:

"In the end, your sin could not be hidden... It's just your fault..."

Florence bursts into tears, covering her face with her hands. At this point, Evie is really confused, the piece of paper trembling in her hand that lets it fall on the floor.

"I can't believe..." Evie nods in shock. "Florence?!" She stares at the woman who is still crying. "Can you explain to me what's going on now?" Evie gestures angrily

"I... I..." Florence wipes away her tears and looks at Evie with red eyes. "I'm so sorry... I..."

"I don't want to hear any regrets! I want to hear the truth! Now!"

"Okay, Evangeline," Olivia speaks now much calmer. "You'll find out," she sighs and gives Florence a hard look and then looks at Evie. "When your reckless sister... I mean mother... Anyway, when she was 16, she did a stupid thing. She got pregnant. Something I didn't expect from her. It was a great shame for our family. I had lost Gavin two years before that. I was a widow with a mindless teenage daughter who became pregnant. I had to do my best. After you were born, Florence gave you up for adoption... And I was the person who adopted you."

"What..." Evie swallows hard, feeling that she will lose her mind. "You forced her to do that, didn't you?" Evie frowns at Olivia and looks at Florence, a tear running down her face and closing her eyes.

"That was the best decision," says Olivia. "I couldn't live that shame. Everyone who knows us knows that you have been adopted. They don't know that Florence was pregnant."

"Who is my father? Where is he now?! Tell me!" Evie demands staring at Florence.

"He... He was in the same class as me in high school," Florence says with a dejected look.

"He didn't know you were pregnant, did he?!"

"No... Your mother told me I had to break up with him... And then I moved to another high school. I don't know anything about him anymore. I'm so sorry, Evie... So sorry..."

"Don't say that she is my mom! She's not my mother!" Evie gets angry and points at Olivia.

"That's right, my dear," Olivia says calmly. "I'm not your mother. I'm your grandmother."

"I can't believe it," Evie nods and salty and warm tears trickle down her cheeks. "You're both crazy! You are 37 years old now, Florence! You really couldn't tell me the truth all these years?! You say you are a believer and do not sin! But what have you done is not a sin?! You're crazy! You are sick! Stay away from me! Both of you! I hate you!? I don't want to see you again!"

Evie says that again and leaves the kitchen crying. Florence gets up from the table wanting to go after her, but Olivia grabs her hand and nods to leave Evie alone.

"She'll be back," she tells her.

Evie can barely see anything in front of her as more and more tears appear in her eyes, preventing her from seeing where she is going. But somehow she manages and gets to her car, and gets inside of it. She searches in her purse for the key and turns on the car in a few seconds. She wipes her tears and looks at the house. She prays that both Olivia and Florence will not get out of there. She doesn't want to see them again.