Chapter 65

"Patrick... You here?" Evie asks, confused.

"What a surprise to see you here," a soft smile appears on his face. 

The woman he is with looks puzzled at him and then at Evie, most likely waiting for an explanation. Patrick looks down at her and shudders, as if awakened from a trance and says: 

"Oh, babe. This is Evie. Evie, she's Jenna. She is my wife."

The two women smile at each other, each other, whispering that they are "delighted to meet each other", although they don't seem very pleased to see each other there.

Evie wonders if Jenna knows she was Patrick's girlfriend? He probably told her about it. The proof may be Jenna's fixed gaze on her

"You are married now...Evie says, smiling weakly.

"Oh, yes," Patrick answers and looks quickly at his wife. "Jenna and I met 6 years ago and got married 4 years ago. Now we are expecting a baby, his smile grows and he puts his hand on Jenna's tummy. This is our first child."

"I'm glad for you," Evie smiles faintly. 

"You... How are you? Are you ok? Are you and Nikki okay? From what I see, you are expecting a baby."

Evie swallows hard. No. She can't tell Patrick in any case that things between her and Nikki aren't so good. She can't and shouldn't.

 "We're fine," she smiles. He has to come now..."

A sliver of doubt can be seen on Patrick's face. He thinks is strange that Nikki is not with her now.

"How many children do you have now?" Patrick asks her. "We haven't met in about 13 years, right?"

"This is the sixth baby," Evie smiles, looking down at her baby bump.

"Oh, wow! 6 children?!" Patrick exclaims in astonishment. 

His wife is just as stunned and says:

"I think you have to love each other so much because you have so many children together," she smiles sincerely.

Evie smiles at him, already starting to like this woman even though she has just met her. She seems so kind. She really hopes Patrick values ​​her.

"It will be the last child anyway," Evie smiles. "6 children are enough. Anyway... I have to go now..."

"Oh, ok. We just found out we will have a son."

"That's great," Evie smiles. "I'm glad for you two."

"I'm glad for you too," Patrick smiles at her. "I hope you and Nikki are always happy together. Now... excuse us. We have to go. Goodbye!"

"Goodbye!" Evie tells them and they walk in different directions. 

Not that it could have been a worse day than this for Evie. She hopes Nikki doesn't arrive now and sees Patrick. That would be another problem. And they have enough problems. 

Worried, she arrives in front of the office and waits for Nikki there. About 5 minutes later she hears a voice from behind her that makes her jump: 

"Hey miss, who are you waiting for?" 

She turns quickly and in front of her is none other than Nikki, who smiles wide at her. She smiles too, unable to contain the pain of longing for him and goes and hugs him, feeling the warmth of his body and his hands around his waist.

"Did you miss me, darling?" Evie hears his soft voice. 

She smiles looks up at him. She raises her eyes when she sees him leaning over her with the intention of kissing her.

But she doesn't let him do that and opposes, leaning back, him looking at her in surprise.

"Not yet," she speaks firmly. "Get out of rehab first and then... we'll see what we do."

He is deeply amazed by the reaction, but nods and does exactly what she wants. He would like to tell her something else but they are called inside by a nurse. 

They both enter and the technician tells Evie to sit on the examination table, and she does just that. Nikki walks over to her, Evie let him hold her hand. 

They look at the screen while the technician moves the transducer on her belly.  

"The baby is fine," says the technician, staring at the screen. "I guess you want to know the gender."

"Yes," Evie answers, Nikki smiles at her. 

It takes almost a minute for the technician to look carefully at the screen and say:

"It looks like you're going to have a son."

Evie gasps, covering her mouth with a hand and smiling at Nikki. He looks as happy as she does. 

 "We'll have another son," Evie murmurs to Nikki.

"It's wonderful," he smiles. "We have to think of a name." 

"We'll think about it. We have all the time in the world," Evie smiles. "I will be 6 months pregnant when you come out of rehab. We have time to choose the perfect name for our baby."

"That's right, honey," Nikki smiles and gently squeezes her hand.

Looking at the screen of his unborn son, Nikki feels even more confident to do his best and overcome his addiction. This child is counting on him. Like his and Evie's other children. 

He can't disappoint them. It hurts him that Evie is so cold to him, but he knows why she behaves like that. She makes him ambitious to do what is good for him. He knows that deep in her heart, Evie loves him unconditionally.