CH. 20 Playhouse

Rosemary's P.O.V

Yesterday I overreacted. Violet owed me nothing. I should have never made all those horrible remarks about her. Especially to a stranger. Today, I was in a better state of mind.

While I was getting getting dressed, the room was more silent than other days. I was looking at my reflection in the mirror, fixing my blazer.

Lucy was stepping into her boots. While Violet was sitting, brushing her hair down. This morning, she woke up very quiet. Barely said a word. Only spoke when Lucy talked to her, if that. It was strange to see her so quiet and calmed. There was something in her expression though. Sadness.

"Hey, Violet," I called for her attention. Didn't look at me though, just kept brushing her hair. I danced like a clown in front her, "I'm right here, aren't you going to make fun of me?" I wanted to get a reaction out of her but it was not working. Hmm, this was bad. I held her forehead to check her temperature.

"Please stop," she actually asked nicely while moving her head away from my hand. Lucy noticed her strange behavior. We both exchanged a confused expression.

I walked to Lucy, "What's wrong with her?" I asked in concern.

"I have no idea," she shrugged while still analyzing her friend. I snorted at that. Lucy was her best friend, so how in the world did she not know? What kind of a best friend was that?

At first I thought it was because of what happened yesterday but that would mean that she would be furious. Not sad, right? There was hurt in her eyes. Pain that I didn't want to see in them.

Did anything happen with her parents that I did not know about? Maybe the weekend trip? I hadn't spoken to them about it.

Lucy went into the bathroom. I took this opportunity to kneel down in front of Violet.
"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, softly.

She looked down, avoiding eye contact. "Nothing," I heard her sniffle. My eyes narrowed downwards to see if any tears would fall and land on her knees. "Please Rosemary, leave me alone," she was still being polite about it.

"In case of anything, I'll be here to help you," I said before standing up.

"No, I don't want to bother you with anything else," her head remained down while she stood too. Before I could say anything, she added, "I don't want to be a burden on you," and with that said, she walked fast, down the stairs.

"Violet," I called after her but let her go, as she kept walking.

My hands held onto the hand rail and I watched as she left the room. Lucy quickly came out of the bathroom and looked down to the first floor.

"She left?" she asked in panic. Well it was obvious, wasn't it? I nodded. "Ugh, why didn't she wait for me!" Lucy quickly jogged down the stairs, almost missing a step. Luckily for her, she managed to keep balance.

Couldn't she ever do things on her own? Did she really need to be by Violet's side all the time?

Now that I was alone. I thought about Violet. The blazer was bothering me, so I took it off. What's making her so upset? I thought about it. Seeing Violet like this made my heart ache. The light in her eyes had disappeared. Her smile was nowhere to be found, not even a glimpse of it.

**********

Violet had been behaving strange for the last few days. What scared me the most is that she was not walking the halls as if she owned the place. Neither was she watching herself in the mirror. Her friends were even starting to worry about her. This was bad, she wasn't even insulting me! Only ignored me but not in a distasteful manner. More like avoiding me. Violet wouldn't even gather with me to talk about the parenthood assignment. We no longer had the baby doll for now. Just had to work on essays about it. Shockingly, she was working on her half and leaving it on my bed. Basically, we were working on it separately.