CH. 43 Mind Games

Rosemary's P.O.V

Edgar gathered Lola and I in the yoga room. Violet was supposed to come too but she fell asleep. It was almost one a.m. No wonder why she couldn't stay up for this. I on the other hand, no matter how exhausted I was, I had to make it. Edgar lost a bet with Nick. Loser had to keep a watch-out while the freshman class had a secret party. Somehow I got stuck tagging along. All because of Lola. The crush on Edgar made her do stuff like this. She volunteered me to help. Violet claimed that she was going to come with me but after we had sex, she went right to sleep.

Edgar thought it would be a good idea if we walked the halls.

Edgar held his flashlight up to his face. "Ready for our stroll?" He prepared himself.

"Sure," I yawned.

"Here," he handed me a walkie talkie. "One for you too," he tossed one to Lola. "If you see a security guard, communicate with me through these," he instructed.

"Stupid, these will be too loud," Lola rolled her eyes at him. Whoa, she was being rude to him? Must have been because he was making out with a girl during lunch today.

"So?" he scoffed. "It's more cool that way," he defended.

"Idiot," Lola murmured under her breath.

"Whatever, I'm going this way," and with that said, he walked out of the yoga room and took a right turn.

"And I'm going this way," Lola took the left turn. I took the right one too but then took another left. Using my flashlight as guidance, I quietly walked. At night, this building was very frightening. Shadows of furniture creeped me out.

"Nothing here," I murmured to myself as I made another turn. Another yawn escaped my mouth as I desperately tried keeping my eyes open.

My eyes squinted. Ugh, I could hardly keep them open. I should have taken a nap earlier. To regain strength and all. Lucky Violet, she was all warm and cozy in bed.

Rubbing my eyes, I took another turn. Bumped into what felt to be a person. My heart stopped for a second before it started to pound like crazy against my chest. Shit, who was it? Pointing the flashlight up, I jumped in terror when I saw Mr. Hastings.

"Miss, what are you doing up so late?" his face was even more terrifying in this lighting. "You know the rules, students are not allowed out of their dormitories after midnight," he reminded in a husky voice.

"I- I-I, um," no excuse came to mind. Shit. Authority figures could easily be manipulated around here but not Mr. Hastings. Uh-uh, not him. Damn, I had such bad luck.

"Rosemary, there you are!" Huh? Turning around, I saw Amelia walking my way. "Why did you leave the nurse's office without me?" she questioned. Not quite following, I remained quiet and confused. She let out a soft laugh as she made eye contact with Mr. Hastings. "You must be wondering what we're doing out of our dormitory at this time, well, let me explain," she calmly offered. "I wasn't feeling well, so Rosemary was generous enough to offer to accompany me to the nurse's office," she lied. Oh, okay.

Intensively, Mr. Hastings stared at me, "Is that true?"

I nodded, "Yes," I confirmed.

His eyes shifted from Amelia to me a few times, debating whether to take our word for it. His expression softened, "Okay, head to your dormitory," he dismissed us.

Without hesitation, we walked away right away.

Once being out of his sight, I was able to breathe properly. "Thank you so much for saving me back there!" Amelia was a life saver.