CH. 28 Piña Colada

Rosemary's P.O.V

Breakfast was at Violet's house. How in the world did our moms become best friends? Nothing made sense to me anymore. I went along with anything that was thrown my way.

Violet's nanny, Rita, served the table.

A variation of breakfast deliciousness. Homemade pancakes. Scrambled or sunny side up eggs. French toast. Fruit bowls. Omelets.

Mrs. Delaney ate avocado toast. Maybe that's why she was so skinny and fit.

It reminded me a lot of my dad. He took very good care of himself. People hardly believed I was his daughter. They thought he was either my cousin or a young uncle.

Minding my own business, I ate bacon, scrambled eggs and toast. I was hungry and there was so much food, I was not going to let it go to waste!

I poured syrup all over the toast.

"Rosemary!" Mrs. Delaney exclaimed. "I want to show you something!" Violet's mom grinned from ear to ear. Rita walked by. "Can you please bring the album?" She requested from her.

Moments later, Rita came back with a photo album.

Violet spread strawberry jelly on toast, "Mom, another time please!" She was not up for it.

My dad and mom laughed slightly.

My mom asked, "Is that what I think it is?"

How many photo albums did Mrs. Delaney keep? She had already shown us last time. This album looked different though.

No further explanation needed, Mrs. Delaney nodded, "I've always said that sandbox love never does," she smiled from ear to ear.

"Oh that's so cute!" My mom exclaimed.

Mr. Delaney and my dad went off to the discuss sports cars. Good thing because by now they would have walked away from the conversation.

"Violet and I were looking through it," Rita commented.

Photos of Violet and I in preschool. Playing house. Drawing together. Going down the doble playground slides. Throwing bark at each other. Coloring together. Having breakfast and lunch by each other's side.

"Here: you were fighting monsters away from the playhouse kitchen," Violet's mom described as she showed us a photograph that looked like it was barely holding up.

In the photograph, Violet and I were standing from shoulder to shoulder. Biting on our finger nails. Obviously, we knew it was a game but we were in character.

My mom chuckled, "I like what you said about sandbox love never dies," She stated. "A genuine love between children grows and never goes away as they grow up," she elaborated. "It's pure love."

Exchanging a look, Violet and I stuck our tongues out at each other.

To get on her nerves, I muttered "Put it in my mouth," while our moms were talking among themselves.

Violet raised her hand up, ready to smack me but just then, Rita came to my rescue. She placed a bowl of strawberries in front of me. "I hope you still love them as much as you did when you were four years old!" The sweet smile on her face sold them.

Jealous of the way that Rita was spoiling me, Violet gasped, "I love them too!" And with that said, she grabbed a strawberry.

Mrs. Delaney shared, "Every time that Rosemary came over to the house, which was about half of the week," she exchanged a chuckle with my mom as if it were an inside joke between the two, "I always had to make sure that we had strawberries in the house," she recalled.