Chapter 9: The Pact

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always find beauty in things that are odd & imperfect- they are much more interesting. -Marc Jacobs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was Tuesday and I was tired as hell. Because of the long time I spent with Hayley and Ryan I didn't have time to do my homework. So I did it before I went to bed, at 10 p.m. and I went to bed at 11:50. But even then, when I was so tired my eyes shut every two seconds I couldn't sleep. The whole day was stuck in my head and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

About the day with Ryan. The time at lunch. And I had to think about our conversation in Ryan's car as we drove to my house after dinner and about the way Ryan walked me to my door. And the weird encounter with my mom.

Earlier

It was short after 9:45 as I came home. Well we jumped out of his car and walked to my front door. "Well I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," I said as I opened the door to my house. I could hear muffled sounds from the living room. My parents were, most probably, watching tv.

He nodded. "Yeah-" he was cut off as my mom appeared next to me.

"Oh hello," she said trying to sound not too curious. "Well, sweetie you wanna introduce us?" I fumbled with the strap of my bag.

"Erm... sure mom-" Ryan cut me off and extended his right hand towards her.

"It's really nice to meet you, Mrs. Graham. I'm Ryan," he said with a polite smile. She reached out and slowly shook his hand, her eyes narrowed into slits.

"You look very familiar Ryan. What's your surname?" she asked in suspicion.

"Johnson, Mrs. Graham, my name is Ryan Johnson," he said politely.

"He plays football," I knew that that was why dad knew him. He came to some football games to watch my friends. Yes my dad was a fangirl if it came to football and my friends. He'd always cheer louder than anyone else on the bleachers. Making me feel embarrassed. It really surprised me that he didn't have a shirt with their names on it. Yet.

But my mom never watched sports so I didn't know how she could know him. "I don't know why but I think we met before. Your name is really familiar too."

He shrugged. "I don't know m'am."

She shook her head, clearing her mind. "It doesn't matter anyways. Did you have a good day?" she asked, her question directed at me. I looked at Ryan for a split second. What should I do? Should I nod and admit to Ryan that I actually have had a great time? To boost his ego? No, thanks.

But before I could answer mom spoke up again. "Where did you two went to? Have you eaten already?" I nodded.

"We went to a restaurant not far from here," he said with a smile. Mom smirked but after a second her smile fell.

"Wait, I saw you forgot your money at home sweetie," she looked at me in disapproval. I looked down, embarrassed under her stare.

"I swear I tried everything to stop him, but he wouldn't budge," I said and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Thank you Ryan but here," she said as she made one swift movement and reached behind her for her wallet and held some money in front of him. He shook his head.

"No really I did it with pleasure."

She narrowed her eyes again and then, after a second, her face lit up. "Oh I know a better idea. You are going to have dinner with us on Wednesday evening."