Chapter 23: Air

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to Becca. She's a nice person and a great supporter. You'll get through the heap of exams, honey. Believe me, soon you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel of schoolwork. Good luck!

Also, I posted chapter 22 a few days ago guys, so make sure you read it before this one. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize then it's not enough to know what someone is called. -Gayle Forman, Just one Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks for coming on such short notice," I tell Sam, smiling up at him while walking next to him on the side walk.

He grinned down at me, amusement dancing in his eyes. "Liz, you don't have to thank me for spending time with you, it's my pleasure." I looked down, my smile widening. "So, tell me, how was your week?"

I cleared my throat as several, different emotions flooded my heart. The most persistent one, pain. "Oh, you know, the usual," I said with a shrug. "How about you?"

"Well, it was kinda stressful. You know, football and all. But I'm glad you accepted my offer. This is probably the first time I can actually breathe in like a week," he answered. His honesty had me taken aback. The way he acted towards me was different, carefree, open. It made me reconsider my choice of words. He was honest to me and I felt like I owed him the same sincerity he shared with me. So, taking a deep breath I retraced my words.

"To be honest this week was like a pain in my ass," I admitted.

"How come?"

I sighed. "Well, my best friend and I, we had an argument the other day, but it will cool down eventually." The other day being this morning.

He opened the door for me when we arrived and I smiled up at him in thanks before stepping into the Starbucks. We had decided to grab some coffee, because let's be honest I needed one. Badly.

After crying I felt drained out and in order to get through this day I needed some energy. Of course I didn't tell Sam that I had cried, I wasn't crazy, I didn't want him to run away after all. "Oh that sucks, do you wanna talk about it?"

I shook my head with a small smile. "No, not really," I admitted as we stood in line.

He nodded. "What's the name of your best friend again?"

"Logan."

His eyes widened. "Williams?"

"Yeah, you know him?"

He shook his head. "Not personally, no. But damn, that kid is one hell of a running back."

I let a smile slip onto my face as memories of Friday invaded my thoughts. Logan had rocked the rest of the game on Friday night. "Yeah, he is," I agreed before stepping up and ordering my venti. We set down on a booth nearby while waiting for our coffee. Friday was still swimming around my brain as I leaned back. "Speaking of Friday, I have to tell you something," I said eagerly, a smile on my lips.

He opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off as our names were called. He jumped up and came back shortly after, one cup in each hand. "What were you about to tell me?" he asked, placing my coffee on my side of the table.

I thanked him with a smile before saying,"I'm on the team." I waited, eager for his reaction.

He tilted his head to the side, eyes wide, mouth opening and closing several times in confusion. "What?" he asked, brows furrowed.