Chapter 19: Phone Calls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start ignoring people who threaten your joy. Literally, ignore them. Say nothing. Don't invite any parts of them into your space.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to the ringing of the doorbell. A sound that lasted for at least ten seconds. And there was only one person I knew who pressed the button this long. And this person was my sister. 

Now, you'll all think that I was beyond excited to see her and jumped straight out of bed to greet her. But instead of doing that I groaned and rolled over in bed, pressing my head into my fluffy pillow. Because though I was overly happy that I could see my sister, at the same time, I wasn't. 

Why? You'll see. 

I practically heard everything through my door. So, no need to go downstairs. I overheard mom opening the door and her friendly greetings towards Tori and her boyfriend, Nathan. I listened to every bit of their conversation. When my sister came to the point where she was asking about me, mom told her I was still sleeping. But as mom mentioned something about Ryan I shot up in bed. 

Oh God! 

Everything came flooding back to me. 

My hand reached for the empty place next to me. The sheets were cold. I let out a breath of relief. He didn't stay the night. So he didn't fall asleep like me. 

Thank God, then there was nothing for my family to gloat over.

When I looked at my alarm clock it read 9:34. Great! I could have slept half an hour longer. 

Groaning, I fell back into my warm, cozy bed. There was no way I could fall back to sleep so, instead I looked at the ceiling and thought about yesterday. Embarrassment  rolled over me as the video flashed through my mind. Heat coursed through my body. If I would have just talked to Jensen politely then this would have never happened. Just why did I have to be so rude to him? I could have handled it another way. 

 You do stupid things on a regular basis. So, does it honestly surprise you? 

I sighed, the weight pressing against my heart increasing pressure. As I thought back to the way Jensen had groped me, an image of the attack crossed my mind. And I could almost feel his hand on my behind. I sat up, running a hand through my hair. No. I wasn't going to let these thoughts torment my brain again. Even after almost a year went by, day by day it crossed my mind. 

Getting up, I decided to look for distraction. I searched my nightstand for my phone, but it wasn't there. When I had fallen asleep in the living room it had been lying on the coffee table. Crap, that meant I needed to go downstairs. Sighing, I walked down the steps to greet my family, not bothering to change. 

Mom was standing in the kitchen, making breakfast. The others where chattering in the open dining room. Mom was the first to notice me. "Good morning," she smiled at me. 

"Morning."

"Tori and Nate are here."

"I know. I heard them."

"They woke you, huh?" 

"Yep."

"Oh well, pumpkin, it was time to get up anyways," dad reasoned, coming into the kitchen. 

I rolled my eyes. "I had another half hour before getting ready," I defended, grumpy. 

"Now, now, Liz. Your sister just returned from college. Go say hello."