Chapter 49: Meeting Sam

------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Cause you make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven

For too long, for too long  

~Bruno Mars, Locked Out Of Heaven

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Guys, I have something I want to tell you," I said, my hands fidgeting in my lap which was covered by the cafeteria table.

"Ooh, what is it?" Liam asked animatedly, clapping like a little kid.

"Uhm..." Shit, I should have waited. I cleared my throat, awkwardly scratching my neck with shaking fingers. "Let's just wait till the others get here." Logan and Liam were the first ones here when I arrived. I made the mistake to spoiler them, because of my freaking nerves. My stupid heart was thumping, thumping, thumping annoyingly against my ribcage. I didn't know why nervousness had decided to join us, but it had, willing me to keep my mouth shut.

Logan observed me quietly as Liam pouted. "Oh, come on, Graham, you got us hooked. What is it that you want to tell us?"

I sighed. I should have known that he wouldn't let it go. Liam was hella impatient. But I loved him anyways. "Liam-"

"Hey, this is your fault you know how curious I am." Liam could have been a cat in his former life, the reason why he'd died wouldn't be much of a mystery then. "If you wanted to wait, you shouldn't have mentioned it-"

Logan interfered. "Hey, man, give her-"

"Tell us, tell us, tell us!" Liam pressed. When I didn't answer him verbally and only offered him a pained smile he continued. "Tell us, tell us, tell-"

"Sam and I are together!" I blurted out after finally having reached my breaking point. My throat was dry as I listened to the sound of my heartbeat which was pounding loudly in my ears.

For a second both of them just stared at me.

Say something!!!

"Hey, guys, what's going on?" Tony's voice filtered through the rhythmical sound of my heart.

When I looked up, the remaining seven of our group were standing at our table, including Sophie and her cousin.

Suddenly, Liam shot up from his chair, taking all of us by surprise as well as himself. "Sam and Liz are official!" I'd watched Liam's outburst with a dropped jaw, not quite comprehending what was happening and feeling slightly offended at his tone of voice. He sounded like he was ratting me out.

Now, I glared at him as the others turned to me. He gave me a sheepish look before averting his gaze while sitting down again. An awkward silence settled upon us when all of them were seated. During this stretch of silence, I started to panic internally. Oh God, what had I done?! This was a big mistake! Why were they acting so strange? Whenever I'd talked to them about Sam before they were ecstatic. And now... this.

"So, when did that happen?" Logan asked softly after some time, a small smile on his lips.

Thankful for his help, I smiled at him and was about to answer when Drake spoke. "Yeah, I thought you guys were over!"

I sighed. "It's complicated."

"Is it?"

I shot him a look. "What are you talking about?"

"The last time we were having this conversation about Sam you sounded pretty repelled by the idea of dating him."

"Look, I know what I said, okay? But the reason why I wanted to end things wasn't because of him."