Chapter 38: On the run

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even a good player will someday become a toy of a better player. It's called karma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something buzzed against my body, shaking me out of the trance I'd been in. "I'm up," I said as my eyes flew open, my voice raspy. I was confused for a second before I realized that I'd dozed off in Ryan's bed. I noticed that a comforter was draped over my body as I looked to my right and saw Ryan lying on his side as well, facing me with a smile. I groaned, embarrassed. "I'm sorry," I apologized, running a hand over my face to rid the sleepiness.

"No need to apologize, Bee," he replied with a soft, warm smile. "You weren't gone that long anyways." He reached out and caressed my arm reassuringly. I was so sleepy I didn't question the gesture.

I sighed, still tired as fuck. My phone was what woke me, but I didn't bother to pick it up and read through the text I'd received. I couldn't hold the yawn in that escaped my lips. Suddenly feeling cold, I pulled the comforter over my shoulder and tucked it underneath my chin. I gave him a sleepy smile as I watched his lips curve upwards. He seemed closer than before I'd fallen asleep or maybe I scooted closer while I was asleep.

His eyes raced over my features, seeming as though he wanted to memorize everything as detailed and fast as possible. His gaze settled on mine after some time and, prying his mouth open to speak, he said quietly, "You are so beautiful." I swallowed, my eyes automatically leaving his face. A warm feeling I didn't understand flooded my senses and settled heavily and deeply into my heart. Was he being serious? Or was he making fun of me? Through the voice in the back of my mind somewhat told me that he was genuine. He thought I was beautiful?

"Bee?" My name on his lips was enough to snap my gaze back to his. "You are." I could only find honest sincerity in his green orbs. The feeling in my chest was making it hard not to cry at his words.

It was as though he could feel my insecurities and therefore had to reassure me that in his eyes I was good-looking. And somehow, hearing the words leave his lips helped. I was, with little to no doubt, looking like a mess at the moment. My brown hair was tangled and I was positive the evidence of my lack of sleep was as clear as day right now, but still he called me beautiful.

I pulled my hand out from under the blanket and reached for his own resting in the space between us. My hand was surprisingly warm as it made contact with his'. "So are you."

For a moment he looked at me with a blank expression. Before the fog cleared and an emotion settled over his features and in the air around him that I couldn't quite pinpoint. Sure, not many guys these days are called beautiful or pretty. And Ryan, I assumed, had only ever been called handsome or hot by most girls. But he was. He was stunning and complex really. 

he intensity of his green eyes, the strong jaw line, high cheekbones and slightly crooked nose that accentuated his face nicely. The tanned skin tone and brown hair that fit his body perfectly. His looks aside though Ryan had an unexplainable character, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. He knew when to be funny and when to take things serious, at least around me he did. He knew when it was time to talk and when it was the right time for physical reassurance. But overall, he was probably the strongest person I knew and for that alone I respected him.

He gave my left hand a light, but firm squeeze, his eyes still on me.

After a while he said, "Maybe we should take a break. I doubt either of us can be productive at the moment."

"Sure." I untangled our hands and slipped mine back under the warmth of the blanket.

"Do you want to watch a movie?"