Chapter 36: Run, Forest, run!

*little trigger warning for the last scene*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything you're running away from is in your head

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was staring down at my phone as though if I stared hard enough she would text me back, but that didn't seem very likely. I texted Jo this morning saying that I had gone on a date and she didn't message me back yet which made me a little worried. Knowing Jo she would have blown up my inbox by now. But nothing. Not one text message. No phone calls. And no skype calls. I texted her again -three question marks- before putting my phone next to my tray when one of my friends called my name.

"Liz?"

"Yes?" I asked, suddenly feeling very tired.

"You okay?" Drake was the one asking.

I gave him a small smile. "Yeah, just tired."

"Uhhh!" Liam suddenly shrieked. "We never asked how the date went."

Suddenly every one of my friends sat in alert, bursting with giddy and excitement. All but three. Ryan, Drake and Sophie all froze. "You went on a date?" Drake blurted out the question that all three of them were probably wondering. I know, I can't believe it either.

I nodded. I noticed that Sophie shot a careful glance at her cousin before looking my way again. Ryan, for whatever reason, seemed tense. "Um.. when?" she asked softly, glancing at Ryan ever so often.

"Saturday," Tony answered for me with an eager smile. "So, how did it go?" he asked me head on, all eyes turned to me.

I shrugged, managing a small smile. "It was nice."

"Nice?" Jack asked, his face twisted into a grimace. "It was your first ever date and it was only nice?" Gee, thanks for making it obvious for everyone on this table that I'd never had a date before.

"Wait," Logan spoke up. "Did he try anything you didn't like?" he asked suspiciously and every one seemed to lean in farther to hear my answer.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "No, dad. I told you before he's not like that," I pointed out. "He's a good guy." Ryan for some reason pulled back sharply. I frowned. Was something wrong with him?

"Yeah," Jeremy kept me from continuing. "But even good guys do bad things."

I rolled my eyes again and let out a quiet sigh.

"So, why has it been only nice?" Sophie asked hesitantly. I just shrugged.

It had been more than nice. It'd been probably the best first date a girl can have and that scared me a little. Honestly, the time I'd spent with him was so perfect I was afraid I would ruin this perfection with my flaws. I was scared that I would ruin him with my flaws. Because I seriously started to doubt that I was good enough for Sam.

He was friendly. He was charming. He was attractive. He was cool. He was caring. He was funny. He was everything a girl could possibly want. And he was everything I didn't deserve.

"Yeah, no, it was great. He was really sweet."

"But?" Logan asked.

I sighed, my chest feeling heavy. "But... I don't know if we should see each other again."

"Why?!" Jeremy, Jack, Tony and Liam demanded to know.

Logan gazed at me in wonder as though I was a puzzle he couldn't quite figure out.