Chapter 35: A step in the right direction

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life-Naeem Callaway

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You sure you'll be okay? I can go with you if you want."

I gave him a reassuring smile while glancing over at him. We were parked near Drew's house. The party seemed to be in full swing. The music was so loud we could practically hear every word in the song that was played. "No, that's okay. I'll be fine."

For a split moment awkward silence enveloped us.

"I had fun tonight."

I smiled. "Me too. Thanks for the food again."

He laughed. "Sure thing. Thanks for the company."

I didn't know what to do. Do I just open the door and go? Do I hug him? Do I kiss him? What do I do? This had been my first date for heaven's sake! Awkwardly, my hand reached for the door. I should cut this short, my friends needed me.

Just maybe though I didn't want to go. Just maybe I wanted to go back to cuddling against him on the bed of his truck, surrounded by fluffy pillows and cozy warmth. I tried not to sigh as I thought about Jack. He'd said it was urgent. If they were drunk out of their minds this would end worse than a fight sober.

"Liz, wait!" My arm was grabbed and he stirred me back to face him. "When will I see you again?"

Excitement bubbled up inside me, but unfortunately for me with the giddiness came the annoying presence of anxiety. This time it was more intense than I'd expected it to be.

"I... I don't know," I answered honestly. "I'll text you."

"Promise?" He asked. The look on his face was a delightful sight for my nervous heart. His expression was so boyishly cute that a smile tucked at my lips.

"I promise." I gave him one last smile before I turned to open the car door.

"Liz, one last thing."

I turned my head in his direction. I didn't get the chance to speak however, before he pressed his lips against my cheek in a gentle kiss.

I was flattered and utterly surprised by the time he pulled away. I managed a small smile before I exited his car for real this time. I embraced the cool night air as it chilled my flushed cheeks. He'd kissed me. He'd kissed my cheek! Did that mean he liked me? I had to get a grip on the beaming smile plastered on my face before going inside. Sam, actually liking me?!

Nope, I couldn't.

It was impossible to get rid off the shit eating grin on my face.

There was a couple rolling around on the front lawn furiously making out and there were some people mingling on the porch, but I paid them no mind as I made my way up to the front door. "Liz?" I was about to turn the doorknob when I heard my name.

I looked to my right to see one of my football players hanging with some friends. I waved at him. "Hey, Miles. I would love to chat, but I have to-" I broke off once I heard a loud commotion trickling through the music and entered Drew's house.

I was enveloped in sticky heat and the smell of cheap booze and smoke as I stepped into the house. As I fought my way through the throng of people my heartbeat picked up its speed. Damn it, where were they? Distantly, I heard shouting over the loud ass music, but I couldn't detect where exactly it came from. Frustrated, I was about to call Jack when I was grabbed around the waist.