Chapter 1: Loss

My hands were covered in blood

I wish that it would be mine and not his.

I looked at his body in front of me. I wasn't fast enough. I didn't save him. He trusted me and I failed.

I turned away from his body and started walking towards the wall, leaning onto it, I slid to the ground.

Leo sat down next to me, putting his hands on mine.

Leo is one of my best friends. He's more like a brother to me. A brother that I never had. He was there, at every challenge in my life. He stood behind my back and supported me. He didn't interfere. He knew that I had to do everything on my own to get somewhere.

From the two of us he was always the taller one. Even on heels I was reaching the height of his eyes. Father wasn't pleased that I was sometimes taller than men. He said it humiliates them. I never understood what it had to do with me. It's not like I chose to be this tall.

Leo had short blond hair. A sharp jawline and visible cheekbones. His eyes were brightly blue. Not a lot of people have eyes that look like that. Someone would think that I'd get lost in them sometimes. Sometimes I really do.

He's two years older than me. It's actually really sad that a 25 years old man doesn't have a girlfriend. I tried to play matchmaker, but it didn't work. He rejected every girl.

"You did what you could." He tried to calm me down.

Probably not since he's dead. I know it wasn't me who shot him, but I didn't save him. I'm trained for gunshot wounds and things like that, but it didn't help.

"Tell that to his sister." I let out a sigh.

Rose was one of the people I considered a friend. She wasn't like other spoiled kids I met at meetings with my father.

The thing is, Alexei is her brother. Was.

The only girl I can stand will now hate me.

The door swung open, and the room fell silent. Rose. She shifted her gaze to me. She was horrified to see my hands.

She turned to the table where Alexei was. Three other people stood around him. Tears welled in her eyes as she walked over to him and grabbed her mouth at the sight of her dead brother. Swallowing a scream. Running her hand over his face as she shed more tears.

Meanwhile, Leo walked away from me and walked over to her. He took her into a hug while motioning to Adam, Thomas, and Oliver to take the body away.

I got up and walked over to them. If she wants to hit me, I'll let her. With tears in her eyes, she looked at me.

"It's not her fault." Leo defended me.

"It's never your fault, boss." She wiped her tears away and bypassed me.