Chapter 32: She'll leave

She'd beat me

She'd beat me.

I don't believe it, but she did. I took it easy at first, but she certainly didn't. I was joking about her breaking my nose, but she was ready to. She got me around in minutes. I should start training more.

As I left the gym, I stopped in the hall to look at Oliver, who was lying on the ground under the weight of another. I will not lie when I say they're not that bad.

"Francesco." I heard Lydia's voice. She stood at the door of the study with her hands across her chest. She didn't look the happiest. She nodded to follow her down.

Maybe I have a problem.

I closed the door behind me and glanced at Lydia. She stood next to my desk, looking like she wanted to kill me.

"What did I do this time?" I took a few steps closer and put my hands in my pockets.

"Really?" She looked at me in disbelief and snorted. "Another friend of mine?" She said with a disgusted expression. "Are you kidding me?"

Amira told her. Why would she tell her?

"Lydia..." I walked over to her, but she backed away.

"No." She interrupted me. "What do you think you're doing? You could have had anyone." She began to scatter her hands. "Why did you go to her!?" She raised her voice. "Will it be the same as last time? Do you know how she was destroyed? Do you want Amira to be the same? Do you think she doesn't have it over her head now?"

"It won't be the same." I tried to calm her down. And it was true. I don't want Amira to be a one-off. I know it's not right, but I can't get her out of my head.

"She's leaving! She's leaving and won't come back. When all this is over, she'll be gone! Do you realize that?" Tears flooded her eyes. "And I won't even see her because of you. Why do you still have to ruin my life!"

"Maybe she won't leave. She'll stay." I hope.

"We both know that's not true." She said more calmly. "She doesn't want this life. She doesn't want life in the mafia, but you do." She pointed at me. "You want this." She pointed around. "This life. But she doesn't want it. She'll leave while you're stuck here." She wiped away the tears that ran down her cheeks. "You'll lose your disposable, but I'll lose my friend. And only because of you." She stepped closer. "You could fuck anyone, so why her?" She snorted.

"I don't know."

"Leave her fucking alone. She doesn't need you. She needs someone to put the world at her feet. That's what she deserves. And you certainly aren't the one to do that." She walked past me and slammed the door behind her.

I reached for a chair at the table and tossed it across the room. It hit the library and the shelves broke. The books fell to the ground with a loud bang.

I walked over to the chair and threw it across the room again. It broke this time.

With boiling blood in my veins, I made the worst decision. I went to see her.