Chapter 41: Another lies

August 25, 1813

I never thought I could have such hatred for someone I knew no longer than a day. Stefano Moretti is a man I can't stand. His family always praised him as a saint. If I hadn't met him, I would have believed it. But I met him. He is the most selfish person in the world. How is it possible that nice things are said about him at all? I understand why only the family talks about him well. They don't know him. They don't know about the things their son does. He came here as if it belonged to him. As if I belonged to him. He did not forgive indecent allusions to me. Even after his parents explained who I was, he laughed at me. The only good thing is that he is not supposed to stay here long. A few days at most. He still has some work to do, but I guess he has a woman out there for one night who is looking forward to him. I hope he goes back to where he came from. I don't want him around Vern. He is a bad example for him, a terrible one even.

"Where do you think you're going?" I felt a hand on my wrist that pulled me back to bed immediately

"Where do you think you're going?" I felt a hand on my wrist that pulled me back to bed immediately. I yelled.

"God." I exhaled. "I thought you were still asleep." I tried to stand up, but he was still holding my hand.

"So you thought you were just going to sneak out?" He raised an eyebrow.

"We're in my room, remember? I would have nowhere to run." I laughed.

"True, but ..." He pulled me even closer and joined our lips. I couldn't help but smile. "I don't want you to go. What about us staying in bed today? We haven't seen each other in two days, we have something to catch up with."

"Stop." Laughing, I pulled away from him and stood up. I pulled the T-shirt I was wearing a little lower so I wouldn't show him my ass all the way. "I'll take a shower" Francesco automatically started to get out of bed "without you." I made it clear. "We both know how it turned out yesterday." I turned my back on him and went into the bathroom. "So stay there!" I shouted.

"Amira?" I peeked through the door. "What is this?" He held my mom's wooden box in his hand.

When did he manage to put on sweatpants?

"Aren't you intrusive?" I laughed and started walking towards him. I sat down next to him. "It belongs to Mom." I smiled at the memory of her. "I'm guarding it for her."

"And what's in it?" I shrugged.

"I never opened it." I took it from his hand. "But since you are so interested." I pushed on the lock and the box unlocked. I grabbed it by the top and opened it. I don't know if I wanted to cry or laugh.

"Stone? You carried a stone everywhere with you?"

I stared at the contents of the box. It's a stone. One! There is one stone. Nothing more. I carried it as if life depended on it and it was a fucking stone.

I picked it out of the box, which I later placed next to me. "I've carried a stone everywhere. It's not even special. It's an ordinary one." I looked at it in detail in my hand. "Awesome." I snorted.