Chapter 17: The run

"We should get out of here before

"We should get out of here before...." Thomas began as we approached the car.

"Before he calls for reinforcements." I finished and opened the car door. I sat down as a passenger and Leo sat next to me. The others got into the other car and led the way.

"I thought..." Leo spoke after a long time. "That you wanted to stay there." He looked straight ahead and held the steering wheel firmly in his hands.

"Did you really think that?" I looked at him. He nodded.

I thought he knew I would never betray him. He is like my brother. I think a small part of me broke. He doesn't trust me.

"So, you didn't trust me." I admitted.

"You've been there for a while, I didn't know what happened to you there. You defended him when we were at the bar. Everything could have happened today."

"You know what? It doesn't matter anyway. I'm not going to argue with you. That's the last thing I want. And the last thing I need right now." I sank into the seat.

"I'm sorry...I'm not in the right place right now. I have a million thoughts in my head. I shouldn't have said that." He exhaled hard and stopped the car in the parking lot of a store. He got out and left the keys in.

New car.

I got in a new car. "I see why you did it. Aaron." Saying his name hurted me and even more him. "Where are we going?"

"Like I said. We're leaving. We'll go to the base and then to you. You'll take all the things you need and get out of here." 

He really meant it.

"You know we can't hide from him, do you?"

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. There's one place we both know he won't step in." He looked at me with a smile on his face.

"Russia."

A few years ago, he tried to make peace with them. I mean, that's what the Russians thought. In fact, he wanted to get their mafia. Not a good idea if you ask me.

Back then he met the boss named Miroslav Petrov. Everything went wrong at the peace dinner. Aaron first killed all the bodyguards before he got to Petrov. Then he put a bullet in the head.

There he thought it would all work out and he would have the Russian mafia under his thumb.

Wrong.

Miroslav Petrov had a son. I don't think anyone knows what he looks like. There are records of him that are really brief. It was hard to get to his name. Maksim Petrov.

No records of age, residence or what he looks like.

But Aaron recognized him quickly, as did the warhead of his weapon.

Aaron was to die that day.

Maksim had everything to kill him. I don't know why that didn't happen. I know snippets from the story Aaron told me about. I don't know the whole story, but I'd like to hear it.