Chapter 20: The deal

"Ty v poryadke?" (You alright?) Maksim put his hand on my back

"Ty v poryadke?" (You alright?) Maksim put his hand on my back. I nodded and we continued on our way to the study, where Francesco was already waiting.

A lot happened yesterday. After figuring out at least a hundred different ways on how to kill Francesco and hide his body, I found myself in deep shit.

I'm in a place where I can't do anything. I don't know what will happen if Maksim doesn't sign the deal. I doubt Francesco has at least a little humanity in him. He connects with Aaron and tells him where I am. That will be my end.

"Welcome to my house." Maksim greeted Francesco. It's clear I didn't tell him anything. He'd killed him if he knew he was blackmailing me and Aaron. He's quite protective.

"I'm glad we made a deal." Francesco smiled at him as he shook his hand. He shifted his gaze to me and smiled. I gave him a go fuck yourself  look.

"Let's sit down." Maksim pointed to his chairs. He sat down at his desk while Francesco sat across from him, and I took a few steps further on a couch. "Here's how things are." He started. "Amira vouched for you. Her word is sacred to me, but yours is not. I don't believe or trust you." I could feel his gaze on me. Both of them.

"I thought we just came to sign the agreement. Not to negotiate it." Francesco said in a harsh voice.

"Oh, I don't have a problem with it. The deal is good. Too good. You have to understand that I'm concerned. How can I know you won't just betray me or something?"

"Wise guy." I said quietly so that no one would hear me.

"You can send her to look after me." I looked up at them. What did he say again?

"That is out of the question." Maksim said and the biggest boulder in the world fell from my heart.

"I promise I'll take good care of her." That just straight up bullshit.

"No." He said sternly.

"Then we'll have a problem." He sank even more into the chair. "There are two ways this will develop today. First, Amira packs up and flies back with me in the morning. Or second way....actually, how's Nikolai?" I don't think I've seen anyone face go white so quickly.

Who the fuck is Nikolai?

"Amira, pack your things." Maksim said without looking at me.

"Excuse me?" I stood up. "What do you mean?" It was like talking into a wall. Neither of them perceived my existence.

"It's a pleasure to make deals with you." Francesco stood up. "Amira." He smiled as he came past me. "I will see you tomorrow." He left with a smile on his face. 

"What was that supposed to mean?" I started tossing hands. "Who the fuck is Nikolai?" I walked over to him.

"I don't have to tell you anything."

"Who do you think you are? Do you think you can just stab me in the back like that?" I raised an eyebrow. "I've never done you any harm, and now you're going to sell me for some Nikolai guy? What the fuck is wrong with you?" I threw up my hands.

He can't imagine how much I want to kill every living thing in the area now.

"Don't you dare talk to me in that tone." He raised his voice. His hands hit the wooden table and he stood up.

"And what about you? It's always men. You throw me in a hole, and I have to climb out of it by myself. Next time, every one of you is gonna end up in it. With no chance of escaping." I gave him one last look before running out of there.

I need to go get the team.

*****

"We're leaving!" I shouted at the whole house when I opened the front door. Leo appeared on the steps and the others came out of the living room. "Come on, let's get on the first plane out of here." I said and ran up the stairs to the room.

"Amira, what happened?" Leo ran into the room behind me. I threw my suitcase on the bed and started packing everything I needed.

"Francesco. That happened." I ran to the smaller bathroom to get things from there.

"What do you mean?" He stopped at the door. "What has he got to do with it?"

"Maksim betrayed us, sold us. Francesco knows about Aaron. And he knows exactly where I am. He has no problem telling him, so we have to get out of here as soon as possible." I walked past him and threw things in his hand. I leaned under the bed and picked out a wooden box. I stopped to look at it, then laid it down on the other things. "Go pack up." I told him. After a few seconds, I heard his footsteps leading to the door.

"We can't run forever."

"Watch me." I whispered.

When I came downstairs, I found everyone ready with travel bags over shoulders and confused expressions. "We're leaving, I'll answer the questions later." I walked past them to the door and opened it. I froze in the door.

"Really?" His eyes fell on the suitcase behind me.

"Get out of my way, Maksim." I said in a stern voice. "Just because we slept together doesn't mean I'll have a problem hurting you." He took a step toward me and leaned to my ear.

"I can't endanger Nikolai. I'm really fucking sorry, Amira, but he's my blood...my son." These were the last words I heard before I felt pain in my neck, and everything went dark.

The muffled screams in the distance were unrecognizable.

"A deal is a deal." I went to Petrov. "No one will know your son exists. Now where is she?"

"In the car." He nodded behind him.

"And her team?" I doubt they would let her in.

"I made a deal with them that they couldn't refuse. They won't be a problem. Now take her and get out of my life." He stepped back so I could walk over to the black car behind him.

I opened the door in the back and Amira lay unconscious in the back seat.

I took her in my arms. "How many more hours will she be out?"

"You can't imagine how hard it was to find something she wasn't immune to. This would leave her out for another hour, so you should think fast. If she wakes up on a plane, you won't get out of it alive." He said and turned my back on me. He got in the car and left.

"Trust me. I know."

I put her carefully in the car and got to the airport as quickly as possible. Petrov was right, she won't be out long.

We gave her some more sedatives on the plane and waited for them to take over. We were lucky.

There were two weapons aimed at her all the time, just in case. You never know with this woman.

*****

A shorter one but I hope you enjoyed. <3