Chapter 27: The office 🔥

Five days

Five days.

Five days since we last spoke. Am I avoiding him? Of course. Is it easy? Definitely, since I'm not the only one doing it.

During all that time, I had no opportunity to talk to anyone. Dominic and Samuel haven't returned since they left with Francesco. I doubt they're still in Rome.

I spent most of my time with my head in papers and a laptop. I was trying to find any clue to Aaron's location. But it was getting harder every day. I blame the lack of sleep for that. I don't even remember the last time I slept. I'm not even talking about food. My appetite probably jumped out the window when we came to Rome.

I'm currently locked up in Francesco's office. It's calm here. I'm sure those walls are soundproof.

"What are you doing here?" I looked up at the door. When did he even enter? I swear I didn't hear the door open.

Francesco stood in the doorway. He doesn't look any better than me. His hair falls into his eyes, which look tired, but certainly no more than mine. He has a black jacket in his hand, and he has more buttons unbuttoned on his shirt than he should.

"How does it look?" I went back to the papers. I tossed the folder to my side and picked up another. I closed another folder on the screen. Another dead end.

"I mean what are you doing in my office. You shouldn't be here." This time, when he spoke, I did not look up at him. It's not important. He is not important.

He wanted to forget our kiss, I have no problem with that. I'll ignore it as much as he does. If he thinks it's the best, it's up to him. I do not care about it. It was nothing.

"It's clear I'm not waiting for you here." I snorted as I turned the pages and tried to read.

"You're sitting in my place." When did he get so close? He closed the folder with his hand, and that made me look up at him.

"I was reading it."

"Look at my face." Believe me, I am. "Do I look like I care? Get out of my place." I rolled my eyes as he spoke.

"Are you serious? You have a couch right there, go there." I pointed to the left of the room, where there was a large leather sofa next to the fireplace. His study looked really good. A fireplace on one side and a small library on the other. If I'm bored, I know where to go for some reading.

I saw the frustration on his face. He opened his mouth to say something but immediately closed it. He turned and headed for the couch. I smiled triumphantly and opened the folder back not caring where we went to.

"Questa donna." (This woman.) Those were the words I heard before he grabbed the chair and pulled me away from the table. He placed his hands next to my thighs. I'm regretting I didn't wear anything other than a skirt, but it was the first thing I found.