Chapter 35: Friends

"Amira?" Samuel peeked into the bathroom

"Amira?" Samuel peeked into the bathroom. I've been sitting on the floor next to the shower with a pregnancy test in my hand for over half an hour.

"I'm not pregnant." I looked up at him. I think in a way I knew. But I just needed to be sure.

I waited ten days before I could use the test. I drowned in thoughts for ten days. What if I was pregnant? What would I do then? I don't think I would be able to give it up. Not again.

"That's good, isn't it?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I guess." I looked back at the test.

"Do you need anything?"

"Actually ..." I rose from the ground. "Could you lend me your cell phone?" I went closer to him.

"Of course." He pulled a cell phone out of his back pocket and handed it to me. I gave him a thankful look. "You want me to ..." He pointed at the door behind him.

"Yes, thank you." He winked at me before he left and closed the door.

I opened the contacts and knew immediately what to do. I dialed the number and waited for him to pick up.

"Samuel?" His voice came after a few beeps. "Everything okay?"

"Not quite Samuel." I started. "I thought you'd like to know I'm not pregnant. So, you don't have to avoid me anymore."

"I wasn't avoiding you, Amira." He said after a moment of silence.

"Bullshit." I snorted. "More lies I see."

"What do you mean?"

"I know about your conversation with Lydia. And just so you know what she said is not entirely true. But now it is. I have no reason to be around you when this is over. You won't have me on your neck for a minute longer. Goodbye Francesco Moretti you were a pain in the ass."

Before he could say anything, I hung up. I had a smile from ear to ear on my face. Two things can happen. First, he won't mind at all, and he'll leave it at that, or he'll show up tomorrow. And if he shows up...well I'm not going to make it easy for him.

"Here." I went to Samuel and handed him his cell phone. "Thank you."

"Sure thing. And Amira?" He stopped. "Is tomorrow valid?" He smiled nervously.

"Yes." I smiled. "It is."

We said goodbye and a good night.

I threw myself on the bed with a satisfied feeling. My ribs are a lot better. I'm not completely healed yet, but it could have been worse.

I recovered in almost two weeks. Most bruises have healed, and the open wounds are no longer so bad. The hardest thing for me is walking up the stairs. So naturally, Leo insists on carrying me. If he's not here, I should call someone else. I've already had one lecture about it. Maybe more but I didn't really attend.