Chapter 22: "Call them"

"Do you need help with that?" In the reflection from the mirror, I noticed that Francesco was standing at the door

"Do you need help with that?" In the reflection from the mirror, I noticed that Francesco was standing at the door. He had a jacket in his hand and his black shirt unbuttoned more than before.

"No." I shook my head.

"Are you sure?" I saw him approach me.

"You realize that this dress doesn't have a zip, do you?" I laughed.

"I didn't ask for a zipper. I asked if you wanted to help with that dress." He stopped just behind me. I could feel his breath on my neck, where chills began to form.

"What are you doing?" I turned to him before he could do anything. "You threatened me, drugged me and kidnapped me. You were ready to kill me in the morning. And now?" I snorted. "You realize I won't spread my legs for you, don't you?" I said with a serious look.

Who does he think he is?

"We will see." He smiled. "Give me a few days."

"A few days for what?" I asked but didn't get my answer. Francesco turned on his heel and left the room. "A few days for what!?" I shouted after him. "I hate you."

"I just wanted to say hello. You don't have to kill me right away." Lydia entered the room with laughter.

"No. No. No. I didn't mean it to you. It's your stupid brother who makes me... I don't even know." I apologized.

"Just kidding." She came in and sat on the bed a few feet away. "I wanted to talk because we didn't have time for that yet." She smiled sadly.

"Lydia..." I walked over to her. "Look, I did what I had to do ...."

"I don't blame you." She interrupted me. "I don't mind you leaving. What bothers me is that you didn't take me with you." She stood up. "If you ever do that again, please take me with you." She looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

Why would she want to run away? She still has a good life. Wonderful parents and certainly many friends. The only person who can bother her is Francesco, but he's still her family. Why would she want to leave?

"Please don't leave me here anymore." Tears began to form in her eyes. I jumped up to her and grabbed her arms.

"Lydia, what happened?" She looked down and tears welled up in her eyes.

"There was a guy here. I've never seen him before. I found him late in the evening in Francesco's office, rummaging through some files." She started shaking hands. "When he noticed me... he-he pointed a gun at me. I know I live in the mafia. But I never really had training. The first time we met I was just bluffing. I don't even know how my hand was so steady. I don't know how to defend myself. He threatened me, and if I told anyone..... "

"Hey. Hey." I pulled her into my arms. "It's okay. I'm here. And I'm not leaving without you." I reassured her. "Can you tell me his description?" So, I can kill him in his sleep.