Chapter 14: Past

"Come in

"Come in." I turned to the door when I heard someone knocking. An elderly woman entered the room. She couldn't be more than seventy five.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were asleep. Mr. Moretti told me to wake you up and prepare you for the evening." She said with a warm smile.

"I don't need help, but thank you." I smiled, but immediately my smile dropped. She looked sad like I had killed her dog. "You know what? You could help me with my hair." I suggested and her eyes lit up.

"Of course." She walked over to me while I was putting on a lipstick. "What can I do for you?" She smiled.

"Gentle waves would be fine." I answered her. She took a hair straightener and began. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"How long have you been working here?"

"It'll be some Friday." She laughed. "I raised an old Mr. Moretti. Also young Mr. Moretti, but the two of them are very different."

"You raised Francesco?" I raised an eyebrow. She nodded.

"He was the sweetest and nicest kid I've ever had."

"And what happened, he's a complete di.." I didn't finish the sentence.

"He got to high school." She exhaled hard. "Falling in love is a hard thing."

"So some girl broke his heart?" I raised an eyebrow.

It's unimaginably hard for me to even think about Francesco in a relationship. In a serious relationship.

"No. He broke her heart, and that changed him. He was young, in love, and mostly stupid."

"So he broke someone's heart and changed?" I asked.

"He was a really good boy." She said sadly. "Then I never saw him with a same girl again." In other words, he became an idiot.

I can imagine him exactly. The biggest bad boy in this hemisphere. Every night a different girl and party nonstop. I'm sure I'd date him if we met then. Although I didn't go to high school because my father wouldn't let me, so my mother had to teach me at home, but I often went to parties and enjoyed myself.

"But now he's different." She smiled. "He's interested." She winked at me in the reflection.

"Maybe about himself." I laughed.

"I am done." She smiled and stood up. She is really proud of her work.

"Thank you." I smiled.

After I found out I still had a lot of time, Margret and I were still talking. I got Francesco's embarrassing childhood stories from her. I also found out that he was the worst companion in camping. I will never go camping with him. I mean it. Dead serious.

We talked for a long time before we realized it was time to leave. I said goodbye and headed downstairs. I stopped on the steps when I heard a familiar voice.