Chapter 15: Burden

"Amira, wait

"Amira, wait." I stopped her as she tried to run up the stairs. "Can you tell me what happened there?" I raised my eyebrows.

I'm not going to bed without an explanation today. I wouldn't sleep.

"Just let it go, Francesco." She took a step toward the stairs, but I grabbed her hand and stopped her.

"Who was it?" I don't care if she doesn't want to tell me. I want to know who I almost killed. If he is dangerous, it can be a problem. I have too many at the moment, I really don't need another one.

"It doesn't matter." She defended herself.

"I won't ask again." I said in a tougher voice. I don't even know what time it is, but I don't really have time for games.

"Why does it matter?" She snatched from my hand. "Why do you care? Don't pretend you're interested." She snorted.

"That's not the answer to my question." I went closer. "Who was it?" I said between my teeth. I'm losing my patience with her.

"And you haven't answered mine." She rested her hands on her chest. "You still don't understand, do you? I don't have to tell you anything at all. I don't have to explain myself to you. You. Don't. Own. Me."

"And that's exactly where you're wrong. I own. I can do whatever I want with you. I could have left you with him, no matter what he do with you. Because you're completely stolen from me." I smiled. "You're stolen from everyone. Nobody cares about you. You're stolen from your mother. Your father would sell you for a few pennies. You don't have anyone."

"Wow. The big boy started talking." She said with pain in her eyes. "If you wanted to hurt me, you're going to have to try harder. I've been through hell, not like you. You got it all on a silver platter. A golden spoon in your ass since birth." She snorted. "Maybe I don't have anyone. Maybe you're right, but at least I'm not like you. I'd kill myself before I suck as low as you are. Snob. Selfish. Arrogant. Someone who doesn't care about anyone but himself."

I know I probably hurt her with my words, but she did exactly the same thing. She doesn't know what I'm capable of doing for my family. I would go through hell for them.

"You haven't answered my question yet."

"You're such an unreal idiot." She looked frustrated.

"Who was it?" I said in a calm voice.

"Do you really want to know?" She raised an eyebrow. "All right." She shouted. "That was supposed to be my future husband." She smiled sarcastically. "Even worse. My child's future father."

I looked into her eyes and didn't know the person in front of me. This is not the same woman who was able to kill everyone without rubbing her eye.

She's broken.

One sees it in her eyes. That pain. It hurts every day, even if she doesn't show it.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" She asked sarcastically with tears in her eyes.