Chapter 42: Feelings

September 9, 1813

The most arrogant man in the world. These are the words I would use to describe Stefan Moretti. He should have left a week ago. Then my suffering would end. But it didn't happen. For some reason, he stayed here. His family was thrilled, even Vern, who loved him. I tried to explain to him to stay away from him, but he didn't listen to me. I went to Moretti with it to leave my brother alone. He just laughed in my face and insulted my rank. The thing is, I have to get him from Verne as soon as possible. I am leaving. A young gentleman from the next town asked me for a hand in marriage. I tried to make a deal with him so Vern could come with me. He told me it wouldn't happen. The only thing he can do for him is pay him a proper education and a beautiful life. All for my hand. I haven't told anyone yet. I don't know how Vern will react. If he hates me for it, then let him. He must have a better life than me. And I'll do it for him.

September 17, 1813

I'm leaving tomorrow. I'd already told the lady of the house, who wished me good luck and assured me that Vern would be fine. He didn't take the news best. He tried to convince me to stay and that it wasn't so bad after all. And he's right. A lot has changed in a few days. Stefano is not that bad. In addition to having fun with me every day, I think he even has a heart. There's more to that arrogant surface than I thought. I'm sorry I can't find out any more. I didn't tell him I was leaving. It is not necessary. I just told his sister to watch out for him. I'll be gone by sunrise. Life has changed since there are no parents. I can only dream of what life would be like now if they were here. I hope they are in a better place. And I know they're watching us from above.

I was awakened by the constant noise coming from the corridor

I was awakened by the constant noise coming from the corridor. Laughter that I knew well.

I opened the door just to find what I thought would be there. Two women completely wasted, trying to walk straight. They leaned against each other, and when they didn't whisper something, they laughed and almost fell to the ground.

I stood in the doorway with my arms crossed over my chest and my back against the door frame.

"Are you two having fun?" I spoke and they both looked at me. Amira's smile dropped immediately and Lydia looked like she was fifteen and her father caught her after a party.

After an argument that didn't happen so long ago, they both left. I had the greatest desire to get in the car and go after them. The thing is, I couldn't. Apart from Amira folding her necklace, I made a mistake. I should have told her the truth. She really doesn't need any more lies now.

But after not returning for more than six hours, I didn't care. I was just hoping nothing happened to them.

"You stay here." I walked over to them and pointed at Amira. "You," I looked at Lydia, "sleep."

They exchanged looks and said good night. I haven't heard anything sadder yet. I guess I ruined their mood.

I dragged Lydia to her room. I took off her shoes, which were full of mud. Where the hell were they? I didn't even try to convince her to dress in something more comfortable. She immediately lay down and started fighting with the cover. I couldn't help but laugh. I helped her with the blanket and covered her. I gave her a quick kiss on her hair.