Part 18

I climb into Jacks car and he looks absolutely amazing this morning.

"Where did you stay last night?" I ask, trying to sound casual.

"Me mate Phil's, his girlfriend is pregnant too y'know, they're due in January"

"Did you tell them about me?"

He looks straight ahead "no, I just want things to stay uncomplicated"

"Keeping us your dirty little secret then"

"No! No! Protecting ya Chelsea! Phil's girlfriend is always all over the socials blabbin stuff! I thought we agreed?"

I want to say that actually he decided, but I don't want an argument, and he's right, in a way, I don't want me or my baby all over the internet.

We arrive at the hospital and Jack comes round to help me out. 

"I'm not ashamed of ya at all Chelsea, it's just complicated because of how it is" he tells me gently. "C'mon, let's go see our little girl again".

The nurse asks how I've been, she checks my urine sample and goes over some results of blood tests that have come back.

"All perfect" she announces.

I lay on the bed as she asks and Jack immediately sits next to me taking my hand.

Again, she pours a big dollop of cold gel on my exposed tummy.

It really does feel uncomfortable as she presses down with the scanner. I grip Jacks hand.

This time we hear her heartbeat before the screen is turned to us, and grin at each other.

When the screen is finally turned the image is amazing, we can clearly see her hands and feet. We watch awestruck as the nurse takes all the measurements and details she needs.

Everything is perfect.

"Right" the nurse says brightly, the midwife on duty will meet you both outside to discuss your birth plans and give you a tour of the birthing suite.

She hands over the pictures of the scan and sends us back out to the plush waiting area.

"Have ya thought about this? About the birth?" Jack asks as we sit back down.

"I've been trying not to.......shit Jack I'd forgotten about this tour today"

"It's ok......that's the point ain't it, to help ya think about wot ya want"

That sounds very grown up and sensible, especially coming from him.

"Did your mum buy you a book too?" I guess.

"Yeah" he grins. "She's so fuckin' excited Chels, her an' me sistas"

"What about Stacey?"

He shoots me a look. "I don't fuckin' have a clue wot goes on in her head"

"We sit in silence for a bit, I come to a decision in my mind "Jack, will you be with me when she's born? Jasmin is going to be the one I call first, being the closest, but she doesn't want to be there when she's actually born, she's so squeamish, she'll be with me until you and Sian arrive"

"Of course I will Chels, I'll do whatever ya want me to, I sez I would an' I will" he looks wistful. "I suppose as it gets close I'll hafta make sure ya know when I'm playin', ya might hafta ring me mom, she'll know wot to do if I'm in a game"

We are called by the midwife. She introduces herself and we follow her through a set of double doors.

She takes us into a dimly lit serene room.  It looks like plush hotel room, apart from the bed is a hospital bed. There's also a huge egg shaped bath tub in the room, as well as a selection of beanbags and fitness balls. She encourages us to take a seat on a sofa and she sits in a chair opposite us.