Part 113

As I twist in front of the full length mirror I start doubting myself. "Maybe I'll just wear them shiny leggings...." I ponder out loud, half to myself.

"Don' ya fuckin' dare, ya look fit" Jacks dulcet tones filter through from the bedroom, so he is still up here.

"Fit??" I repeat "makes me sound fifteen or something......"

"Nah, decent ya look propa decent" I don't bother turning, I can hear the smirk in his voice.

"It's a bit much, it's just the salon girls"

"Chels, it's Christmas, everyone will be dressed up. You look absolutely stunning, honestly bab, you'll be the hottest girl there" he walks into the dressing room "propa turns me on knowing all the blokes will fancy ya"

I sigh "I don't really want other blokes looking at me like that"

Jack's face screws up in confusion.
I look down at myself again.

"I'm a married mum of two, most of the girls at the salon are barely in their twenties, Danielle is single again so it's going to be them on the pull then me their old mum mate out for the ride"

"Old?" He pffts loudly. "Fuck off is 27 old! We're still prime bab"

I turn away from him, incredulous that out of what I just said, calling myself old was the only thing he took from it.

"Maybe I can pretend to be ill?"
He's only been back a few days, after being eliminated from the world cup he joined the rest of the city boys in Dubai for the tail end of their warm weather training. I'd much rather just curl up on the sofa with him and watch love actually, or the holiday.

"Nah, go bab, change if it will make you feel better" I watch as he breezes out of the room, probably heading off to see what Mia's up to, she's been quiet for too long.....

I shake my head. I've got no idea why I'm in such a head funk. Well, my conversation with Layla after the quarter final didn't help. I'd told her I'd missed her not being around, that I hadn't seen much of Kennedy, madders girlfriend and her reply had been 'well if I was there I'd doubt I'd see much of you, you're part of the mums group and I'd be with Kennedy and Anouska......you know, that group' you're all mums! I'd queried 'yeah, but we're not mumsy, I think it's the two kid thing, once you're actually married and have more than one kid, you definitely cross over'.

Since Jack had got home, I'd noticed more and more what a rut we'd got into. Dark thoughts started to creep in. Am I boring? Will he get bored.

Will he get bored?

He'd avoided temptation in Dubai.
He'd avoided temptation in Ibiza, although the girl he saved from getting run over, injuring himself in the process liked to pop up on Instagram from time to time.

I study myself in the mirror again.
We've literally just got married, fuck sake Chelsea give your head a wobble. I tell myself.

-

The meal is pretty enjoyable and the prosecco is flowing freely.
There's 5 of us on a table at one of those party nights the fancy hotels put on at Christmas, several work parties squeezed into a winter wonderland setting with ok food and then a cheesy disco.

"Jacks goal was so cool though, shame they didn't get further" Danielle is chatting away I'm half listening to her and half listening to Eden our newest apprentice telling me about how much she fancies Phil.

"So you could introduce me to him?"

"Eden, he's not single" Danielle interupts at seeing my eye roll.

"Yeah but he's a footballer, they all shag around don't they, their partners just let them get on with it" she states simply

The other girls exchange nervous glances. I'm aware that one of them has just kicked Eden under the table.

"I mean obviously not Jack, although he did though didn't he?"

I stare open mouthed. "He didn't 'shag around' as such, and I certainly didn't let him get on with it!" I fume.
I feel Danielles hand on my arm and luckily we are saved by our desserts being brought over to us.

Five Christmas chocolate bomb puddings and another two bottles of prosecco later and the mood is lighter again.
We are watching the other tables around us trying to guess their professions.

"Definitely teachers" Danielle observes as we look across at a large table of men and women aged from their early twenties to a few down the far end that look ready to retire. As I watch a man who looks to be in his early thirties catches my gaze. I look away quickly but when I look again a few moments later he's still watching me.
He smiles at me.
Shit, I smile back and quickly look away.

"He's pretty hot!" Danielle nudges me

"Dan, seriously? I'm married remember"

"Doesn't hurt to window shop from time to time"

I laugh "what you like? If we're talking window shopping you're forgetting I've literally got Gucci at home"

She laughs but then looks at me seriously "who was the last person you shagged other than Jack?" She sees my expression drop and quickly adds "not Craig".

I shrug "two or three one nighters before Craig.....before Jack though it feels like I was single for eternity before Mykonos"

"Here's the thing right, when you get married you're basically saying you promise to never shag anyone else ever again" Danielle speaks softly.

"That is literally what marriage is Hun" I confirm.

"But where's the excitement? I mean do you literally go to bed everynight and have a conversation about whether or not to have sex tonight?"

I giggle "kind of"
I stop her before or she speaks again "no, I mean our sex life is amazing.....we've still got a spark"

"A spark isn't the same as excitement though"

Suddenly Eden and the others squeal as a tray of shots is put on our table. The waiter looks at me "from the gentleman" he nods towards the man that had caught my gaze earlier and I feel myself blush as I mouth thank you to him.

"We shouldn't really accept these" I say as the girls start grabbing at the shots.

"Oh it's fine, have a bit of excitement Chelsea" Danielle winks at me.

As I glance up the man isn't even hiding that he's watching me now, he's turned his body to me and is staring at me intently. He grins as he mouths 'hello' at me.

Against my better judgement I give in to the feeling that washes over me and mouth hello back to him as I nervously smooth my dress down.