Part 68

They lost.

The atmosphere is far from jubilant as the boys finally join their family tables in the function room.

There's still a sense of wanting to celebrate them for getting this far.

"But they didn't loose the match, it's not like they lost the match" and "comes down to luck on penalties" are phrases being thrown around a lot.

Once the drink starts flowing every one loosens up, but it's not long before the players find themselves drawn together again, the bond between them strong. There's a group of about 30 of us sitting across two tables, players and partners.

Talk turns to holidays.
And there's a feeling that they need their group holidays, it's unspoken, but none of them want to walk away for the summer now. They still need each other.

And it's weird because Declan and Ben are trying to persuade Jack to go to Mykonos for just a few days with them.

But Jack is saying "nah I jus' don' wanna do all that shit...."

"What do you want then?" Asks Dec.

"I dunno, I jus' want me family...." He looks at me as he says that, and I see his arms tighten around Mia on his lap. "I want a pool, a view, the beach......sun...."

Kieran, who I've never spoken to suddenly points at Jack "offers still there buddy"

Jack looks at him.

"No way, no Jack you're not going on the golden oldies holiday?" Ben looks between the two men. "The fucking stick you gave Ming's for joining the oldies last year mate!"

"It's not the golden oldies....." Jack speaks quietly "it's the families, the ones that know what they want....."

"Bro what ya gonna do, play bloody crazy golf and  build sandcastles?" Saks jokes.

Jack looks at me, a sliver of a smile, "do ya fancy it? They're goin' to a place in the canaries..... loads of little ones for Mia to play with...."

"Someone check Jacks temperature! He's turning down fucking Mykonos for the fucking family friendly holiday!" Kyle calls out.

"I need a new best mate" mutters Ben slumping in his chair, that comment drags a chuckle from Jack...

"Well?" He repeats "fancy it?"

"Yeah, let's do it"  I don't exactly know what I'm agreeing to.

But whatever it is it's just shocked everyone at the table.

Jack has chosen family over partying.

***

"Mia-moo! Come 'ere! Ya need more suncream on! Stop runnin' princess!"

I watch Mia literally run rings around Jack from my sunlounger.

"Mia!!"

She's giggling, dodging around furniture and plant pots to avoid him.

"Seriously?? Jack just pick her up!"

"Nah, I'm not makin' her cry!"

He changes tactics.

"Mia.....Mia...shhhh come 'ere...... secret...." He stage whispers, that gets her attention.

"Shall we splash mommy?"

He picks up a nearby bucket.

Mia laughs, comically covering her mouth with her hands.

"No, no don't you dare Jack! Noooo!"